Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 2nd, 2013 12:00

Activate Windows Defender

Hi all,

I recently bought an XPS 8500 with windows 8.  It came with a garbage trial version of Macaffee virus protection.  Windows 8 comes pre-installed with Windows Defender.  However you can't have both.  The Macaffee trial subscription recently expired, however it is not readily apparent how one removes macaffee or activates Windows Defender.  Each time I get to what seems like a relevant window, it only says Windows Defender cannot be used simultaneously with Macaffee, but there is no apparent way to switch from Macaffee to Windows Defender.  Please help.

20.5K Posts

May 2nd, 2013 13:00

Hi Ehre,

Before you start removal,  open the McAfee Control Center, and DISABLE  all of McAfee’s components that you see enabled and running.

Next, as Joe mentioned, via the Control Panel, locate the section to uninstall programs, and use this to UNinstall McAfee. 

Following that reboot.

Confirm that Windows Defender is now running as your anti-virus. If Defender is running, all is well. You're done.

If not, run the removal tool, MCPR.exe, and reboot. (I no longer recommend that users run the McAfee removal tool immediately following the uninstall because some folks have recently had a problem with it.)

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

May 2nd, 2013 13:00

Hi Ehre

You unstall McAfee via Control Panel/ Add or Remove Programs. Your uninstall of  McAfee will be  incomplete. You should also download and run the McAfee removal tool, then restart tour computer. You can get the tool (MCPR) here:
http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

Windows Defender should then be activated automatically.

20.5K Posts

May 3rd, 2013 07:00

Thanks for the follow-up. That's good news! :emotion-1:

6 Posts

May 3rd, 2013 07:00

Thanks folks, got it working

No Events found!