Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

January 24th, 2008 21:00

Ad Aware Definitions

I have Ad Aware Personal 1.06r1. I can't download any new definitions. Does that mean that I must upgrade to Ad Aware 2007. But as I recall Ad Aware 2007 was crashing according to Dell community members. Any innput would be helpful.
Windows XP
Sherr

2.7K Posts

January 24th, 2008 21:00

Sherr, I have been using Adaware 2007 for several months and it has worked well. 

459 Posts

January 24th, 2008 22:00

I started to download Ad Aware 2007. But half way through the download terminated. So I'll forget about it and download Super Anti Spyware as you suggest. Anyway I still have Windows Defender. I deleated  Ad Aware before the attempted download. So now it's gone. Thanks
Sherr 

Message Edited by Sherr on 01-24-2008 08:01 PM

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

January 24th, 2008 22:00

Ad-Aware SE personal stopped support (definitions) on or about 31 Dec. 2007.   As such, there is very little point to keep it around anymore [unless you're prone to getting re-infected by "old" problems known to its database].

I am one of the people having problems (service crashes) with the newer Ad-Aware 2007.   I know that Joe53 and 1972Vet have [or had] problems/concerns with it as well.   BugBatter, in contrast, reports having no problems with it.

But both BugBatter and I agree on a more key point:   We have not made any use of AA '07 in helping people remove problems/infections.   Rather, we concur that the single most useful [free] scanner/remover currently available is SuperAntiSpyware ( SAS).   If you don't already have SAS, I would strongly recommend you consider it [the FREE version, for home use, suffices].  
(If you wish to keep AA-'07 around as an additional "insurance" scanner, that couldn't hurt anything.)

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

January 24th, 2008 23:00

Sherr:

I agree with ky331.

If you have WD running in realtime, and SAS for on-demand second opinions, I think you are reasonably covered against spyware. AAW 2007 is fine if it works for you, but I've seen enough complaints about it that I no longer recommend it as a first-line defense.

771 Posts

January 25th, 2008 00:00

I'm still using Ad-Aware SE, but I have to manually update the definitions now. A link to downloading new definitions is frequently posted to the alt.privacy.spyware newsgroup. You have to close out Ad-Aware SE, download and unzip the file, then copy and paste the new .ref file into the Lavasoft directory. This replaces the old one. Launch Ad-Aware SE, and the new definitions should be loaded. Works fine for me.

Message Edited by Lawnmowerguy on 01-24-2008 09:34 PM

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

January 25th, 2008 03:00

Lawnmowerguy:

What you say is true. It is still possible to use and manually update the old SE version.
However you might want to read in full the post below from long-time AAW poster (and MS MVP) LS Calamity Jane:

"We realize there is a lot of sentiment for the old SE version of Ad-Aware but frankly it is simply obsolete. It was designed back in something like 2002 when malware was much different than the malware issues we face today. It was woefully inadequate against today's newer threats and Ad-Aware 2007 has been completely redesigned from the ground up to deal with these new threats."
Excerpt from: http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=15293

771 Posts

January 25th, 2008 07:00

I've never been able to get too excited about using Ad-Aware, because in all the years I've been using Ad-Aware SE and its predecessors, it has never found anything but tracking cookies on my computers.

Message Edited by Lawnmowerguy on 01-25-2008 05:14 AM

459 Posts

January 25th, 2008 15:00

I downloaded Superantispyware. It detected 96 cookies. This was after the Microsoft Defender daily automatic scan. I assume that you must always scan manually or for automatic scaning purchase the upgraded version. Is this correct. Also should I delete the 96 detected cookies. These are probably similar to the Ad-Aware detected items which I detected daily. But there were NEVER as many as 96 items detected by Ad-Aware. Any comments regarding the above would be appreciated. Thanks for the assistance.
Sherr

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

January 25th, 2008 15:00

in the FREE version, you should scan manually.  
any COOKIES detected are SAFE TO DELETE.

different programs (ad-aware, SAS) use different databases, so it's not surprising that one program finds "problems" that the other one doesn't
No Events found!