Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

February 6th, 2008 13:00

Adobe Reader 8.1.2 update now available

The Adobe Reader 8.1.2 update addresses a number of customer workflow issues and security vulnerabilities while providing more stability.

http://www.adobe.com/go/kb403079

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

February 7th, 2008 02:00

That Adobe Reader "update" convinced me that this utility I use as a simple pdf file reader has bloated way out of control:

1) It was a 30+ MB download that took longer that most programs to install, and required a reboot.
2) It attempted to install by default the Google Toolbar (ok, I hate toolbars, but even so...)
3) It attempted to load reader_sl.exe (Adobe Acrobat SpeedLauncher) into my startup.
4) Generated more HIPS alerts than any other program since I installed Comodo

Then I found this:

"Adobe has released a software fix for what's described simply as "security vulnerabilities" in its ubiquitous Adobe Reader program, but has not issued public documentation on the risk severity.
The absence of a bulletin with details and severity ratings has raised eyebrows in the security research community."
http://fergdawg.blogspot.com/2008/02/adobe-ships-silent-fix-for-critical-pdf.html

So I checked out  Foxit Reader 2.2:
- a 2 MB download.
- No Secunia advisories since the reader was launched in 2004 (vs 10 for Adobe Reader)
- Shortest EULA I can recall reading
- Quickly and easily installed for me
- It meets my needs: safe, small, and simple

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

February 7th, 2008 11:00

interesting.

while i have reader 8.x on one of my XP systems [which I updated to the lastest version], i'm still running 7.x on my other XP system... I wonder now if that's why:   it's "only" about a 20 MB download :smileywink:

and on my ME system, i have 6.x [the last ME-compatible version]

i have the google toobar [i think my wife likes it] as well as yahoo's... i don't consider either one really problematic.... although I fully agree it should never be "silently" installed (by default).

WinPatrol takes care of the reader_sl startup.

Given the common usage of Adobe, I wonder if Comodo has any reaction to what HIPS is finding there???

lastly, I don't mean this as a "knock" at foxit:   but i have to wonder if it's "lack" of popularity (relative to adobe) is part of the reason why it hasn't been attacked over the years...????

Despite all these comments, I DO like your "solution" !
Message Edited by ky331 on 02-07-2008 10:23 AM

20.5K Posts

February 7th, 2008 13:00

"Despite all these comments, I DO like your "solution" !

Very funny. You guys can stop playing games now.

Adobe Reader can also display other Adobe proprietary file formats such as Illustrator, PhotoShop, etc. Perhaps that is why it is so much larger than simple PDF readers. FoxIt works reasonably well, but when I tested it a while ago I had some problems with document compatibility. If I remember correctly, at that time FoxIt did not have plug-in compatibility with any of my browsers, so I had the inconvenience of downloading all pdf files in order to read them. Finally, there is an IE plug-in, but I use FireFox mostly.

The "lack of popularity" may just depend on needs of the user, because it has been around for several years.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

February 7th, 2008 15:00

BB,

I was not "playing games" with my response.   Taking Joe's reply at face value, that Foxit was a [secure and] viable  replacement  to Reader, at 1/15th the size, I felt he offered a novel solution to the Reader "bloat" [and security needs] problem, and was "rewarding" him on that basis.

I myself have never used foxit, so i was unaware of your concerns.

the fact that foxit [apparently] doesn't offer  additional  "Adobe proprietary file formats such as Illustrator, PhotoShop, etc. " doesn't really upset me, since I'm taking for granted the average user is interested mainly (exclusively???) in the ability to read .pdf files.

but if you're saying there are in fact incompatibilities in terms of reading .pdf files, then yes, I would fully agree with you that his "solution" would not be satisfactory on that basis.

in any event, I think this thread provided a good learning experience for the readers [myself included].

Message Edited by ky331 on 02-07-2008 12:51 PM

20.5K Posts

February 7th, 2008 17:00

Sorry, ky331, I thought you were kidding. My mistake. The problem with my seeing a "Verified Solution" to an update notice, is that it may have been Joe's solution to remove Adobe, but I would not want others to think that there is a need to remove Adobe if they don't have concerns with it.
When one of my computers was shipped from Dell a while ago, Adobe was pre-installed. I can't imagine Dell would verify that something they installed should be removed, or Dell would not have installed it in the first place. I guess the same goes for anti-virus and a few other programs. The decision is up to the owner.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

February 7th, 2008 17:00

Points well-made.  

I have removed the "verified solution", lest someone misinterpret it as implying the need to uninstall adobe.

Message Edited by ky331 on 02-07-2008 04:03 PM

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

February 8th, 2008 00:00

I certainly did not wish to imply Adobe Reader was a major security risk, or that folks should uninstall it if they needed it.

But with this latest update, the irritation factor finally prompted me to search for an alternative that met my simple need for a pdf file reader that did not pose any known security risks. This involved some research at Secunia's website, and at other security forums.

I finally found the recommendation for Foxit over at aumha forums by PA Bear, and probably should have included that link, which touched on the need for Adobe for other purposes.

I haven't found any problems so far with Foxit as far as reading/saving pdf's goes on my XP. I posted for informational purposes only, since I don't believe it has been mentioned here before.

I think ky331 is correct in that low usage programs are not major targets for hackers (recalling the claims made for Firefox when it was first released, but little used), and Foxit might well not be inherently safer.  Time will tell.

As far as "Verified Solution" goes, I'm sorry to hear they still offer that option on this V/S board (or anywhere else, for that matter).

20.5K Posts

February 8th, 2008 01:00

I have removed the "verified solution"

How did you do that? I can't undo the one I was experimenting with.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

February 8th, 2008 11:00

in the message marked as the accepted solution:

click on OPTIONS,

the UNMARK AS ACCEPTED SOLUTION

and CONFIRM the action when questioned.

20.5K Posts

February 8th, 2008 11:00

Thank you very much, ky331. Now THAT'S a solution! :)

31 Posts

February 15th, 2008 18:00

Does 8.1 have to be uninstalled before downloading 8.1.2? I tried and I think that is the response I got. I thought when I upgreaded to 2.1 it took care of deleting the older version I had?

20.5K Posts

February 16th, 2008 02:00

I simply used the updater on one of my computers, and on the other I uninstalled the previous version first. Both went smoothly, however, I think the safest way is to uninstall the 8.1. Make sure if you don't want the Adobe Photo Album thing that is checked by default, to UNcheck it before you download the 8.1.2 version.

31 Posts

February 16th, 2008 12:00

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it!!

20.5K Posts

February 16th, 2008 14:00

You're welcome. :)
No Events found!