Start a Conversation

Unsolved

JX

2 Posts

August 29th, 2019 09:00

Can I delete or uninstall OSprofileCollector?

Controlled Folder Access is blocking OSprofileCollector. I can't find any information to suggest that I should keep this program on my system. Is it safe to delete it?

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

August 29th, 2019 19:00

Hi JSWilson x, and welcome to the forum. Please see the following thread that addresses this problem: https://www.dell.com/community/Virus-Spyware/Controlled-Folder-Access-blocking-OSprofileCollector/td-p/6063645

August 30th, 2019 06:00

I saw that thread. It said that OSprofileCollector was from Dell. However, I can't find any information on what it does, so I can't tell if I want it on my machine. 

How would I find out what it is accessing on my machine so I can determine if that is appropriate?

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

August 30th, 2019 19:00

The program detected is OSProfileCollector.exe. It is a legitimate Dell Update program. You cannot uninstall it unless you uninstall Dell Update, but you can disable it by disabling Dell Update.

I disabled (automatic) Dell Update on my Win 10 Pro about one year ago, and periodically turn it on to check for updates. When it is turned off, I cannot find OSProfileCollector.exe on my PC. I'm not sure where it went, but I can still use Dell Update. This suggests that this file can be deleted with no adverse effects.

As to its function, I would guess that it profiles your operating system and sends that info back to Dell. But that is just a guess.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

October 4th, 2019 10:00

SuperDaveTcbs01 is posting SPAM!

EDIT: Spam post deleted and user banned.

No Events found!