Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 23rd, 2005 09:00

Disabling/preventing Macafee at start up

Is there anyway I can stop Mccafee loading at boot up time, without uninistalling the program(s).

Talking here the Mccafee security centre and the virus/firwall elements provided on a trial basis with a new 4700.

Unwilling to pay the unreasonable $$ required by mcafee for my three home PC's. I am trialling the avast virus tool. Running it in parrallel, it seems just as good as macafee, although not quite so complete.

However, I'd like to keep the Macafee installation there, incase I want to revert, and avoid the hassle of updating the program and virus files from a clean install

Thanks

1.2K Posts

January 23rd, 2005 16:00

Open Macafee, and look for Options/Preferences.

January 23rd, 2005 19:00

Thanks. That worked for VirusScan.

I'm still left with the Macafee Security centre as a 'black' icon, and I cant seem to find any options anywhere to not start that up. The help file talks about making Mcafee the 'main Security centre instead of Windows, but no other clues.

Any thoughts

Thanks

DD

8.8K Posts

January 23rd, 2005 19:00

Dan,
Go to Start/Run and type in msconfig.
On the far right tab you will see startup.
Uncheck everything that you can see is McAfee related.

There are several programs ( I think up to 5 or so) that start running when you bootup and McAfee launches.

Uncheck them all and click OK.

Reboot and it should be all gone.

Steve

January 28th, 2005 09:00

Steve,

I disabled the 5 items in Start Up - McUpdate, McAgent, mchdlr (I think), mcusshld and mfptray, and on reboot the McUpdate and McAgent reappear.

On the services tab there are 4 entries - McShield, Security Cente, Virus Centre and Personal Firewall. Disabling these and rebooting does do the trick.

Hopefully without breaking anything else  :-) 

DD

8.8K Posts

January 28th, 2005 14:00

Leave McShield and the firewall up. It may automatically load up the unchecked programs when you start the checked ones. I did notice that McAfee has several programs that run like I have said. Steve

January 28th, 2005 23:00

Hi there Desperate_Dan,

It is never a good idea to run more than one antivirus program at a time. They are all very selfish programs and seldom do they get along together. The best recommendation that I can make would be to uninstall McAfee completely. If, at a later date, you decide you want it back you can either download the most recent version or buy it on disk. Unless you get some sort of virus or other malware that you can't remove, I can see no reason why you would have to do a clean install just put McAfee back at your machine

That being said, and knowing that you did not want to spend a lot of money on it antivirus program, I would recommend that you try AVG, either the free or the pay version. This program is highly regarded in the anti-malware community. Check it out: Here. From the information that I have gathered, the only difference between the pay version and the free version is that the free version does not automatically update.

To provide firewall protection, there are several free firewall programs that you can try. Two of the most popular are ZoneAlarm and Sygate Personal Firewall. I have used both and as far as I am concerned personal preference is the only deciding factor between the two.

Hope this information proves helpful. :smileyhappy:

George

January 29th, 2005 06:00

Folks,

Thanks for all the help, I am now sorted, running with Mccafee disabled, AVAST as the virus scanner, with adaware in adhoc use, and just relying on the windows firewall. I will remove Mcafee in time.

I have to say Avast works great, including automatic updates, so I have no problems there

I did try sygate, but found it a pain to use. Its obviously very clever, and maybe I havent configured it effectively (hardly at all), but I got so annoyed/frustrated with all the pop ups when using my normal programs, and the messages are all very techie (and I certainly cant make a decsion whether they are valid or not),  I turned it off.

Thanks again all

No Events found!