Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 7th, 2016 18:00

Hard to Remove Virus!

I have a Dell Inspiron 1420 computer. After I upgraded it to Windows 10 a year ago, it started behaving strangely. It has 120 GB of memory in the hard drive, but it only shows 111GB with 9 bad sectors. I doubt it is really bad sectors.  I tried to WIPE or FORMAT my hard drive many times before and then reinstalled either Windows 10 or Ubuntu. After installation, the computer time did not look correctly or it moved randomly. I replaced a new CMOS before, but it was the same. I believe there are hidden partitions in Inspiron 1420 and I wonder if the virus is located there. Again I did FORMAT or WIPE the hard drive multiple times, replaced a new CMOS battery, disconnected the router from the computer. The virus is still there. I tried to reinstall the BIOS. Because I no longer have the battery pack, the system did not allow me to reinstall the BIOS. PLEASE HELP!

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 7th, 2016 20:00

For starters:

Dell is not testing or developing Windows 10 drivers for this product. If you choose to upgrade, some features, applications, and connected devices may not work as expected.

That doesn't mean it can't work with Win 10, but unless you dug around and found all the right drivers, including chipsets, video, network, etc, it may not work properly.

So I don't think you can say you have malware, unless/until all the right drivers are installed...

9 Posts

December 7th, 2016 23:00

Thanks for your reply. I am using Windows 10 single language version only (English) in my Dell Inspiron 1420 and all drivers are working properly under Device Manager and up-to-date. Even if I use Ubuntu 14.04 or 16.04 only, this computer is still acting strangely like automatically opening files and folders, auto-clicking.... etc. Moreover, I even tried to install the original Vista or Windows XP into this computer several times, it failed to install. So I don't think the problem is related to all the drivers. There are two areas where I think the malware is 1) in hidden partition or 2) in BIOS. I just could not access to the hidden partition or update the BIOS.

No Events found!