Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 6th, 2009 21:00

Home Antivirus 2010

This virus/spyware? found its way onto my computer.  The initial popup made it look suspicious due to poor spelling in its message.  However while trying to run ad aware and then spybot, it activated itself.  I have also seen it referred as Fake Windows Support Center virus/spyware.  I found references to it online, but it seems I cannot get rid of it.  My original security software, Symantec systemworks 2005 found a virus generic.pack.233, but had trouble removing it.  In the process of trying to run spybot and ad aware, they both became unuse-able, then so did internet explorer.  I cannot load run any of the said software, nor the microsoft malicious spyware removal tool, nor run Nortons 360 that I installed.  For a while I could not even run Firefox to get online except in safe mode.  Currently I am using firefox under normal browsing again.  But cannot download anything, I am assuming because of the curruption? with I explorer, which I tried re-installing but couldn't  I need advise how to find / remove whatever is controling my computer.  What information would be helpful?

Dell Lattitude 110L laptop, 1.6 ghz, 512 ram, 40 gb HD,  XP Prof, service pack 3.  Was Internet Explorer 6, connection via wireless Linksys G router cox cable high speed access.  All of which is working fin.

Thanks for any assistance

3 Apprentice

• 

20.5K Posts

August 7th, 2009 06:00

Normally, I would suggest that you post on the Malware Removal Forum.     Please Read This Before Posting For Malware Removal Help

However, we will be short of help for a few days. Just so you do not have to wait longer, you might consider posting a HijackThis log at SpywareHammer.There are instructions HERE for posting at SpywareHammer. The site has many Microsoft MVP's on staff and helpers there may be able to assist you sooner than we can here.

Additional forums that offer malware removal can be found at this link in the recommended sites section on the left side of this page: http://hjt-data.trendmicro.com/hjt/analyzethis/index.php

Please post at only ONE so you do not tie up two or more helpers working on the same issue. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

No Events found!