Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 15th, 2010 15:00

IE9 Blocks 99% of Socially-Engineering Malware

Capable of blocking 99% of all socially-engineered malware, Internet Explorer 9 is the best browser to protect users against attacks for which there’s no patch, since there are no actual code vulnerabilities targeted.

Attacks involving social engineering are designed to “exploit” users rather than actual security flaws, through a variety of techniques from offering victims the promise of cash incentives to scaring them into doing an action which will backfire and infect their computers with malicious code...

...The statistics come from NSS Labs, information security research and testing organization, which tested browser resilience against malware in the past as well.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/IE9-Blocks-99-of-Socially-Engineering-Malware-172650.shtml

[NSS Labs] Web Browser Group Test Socially-Engineered Malware Q3 2010

Google Responds to NSS Labs Browser Security Report

For those that do not already know, these browser tests performed by NSS Labs are sponsored by Microsoft. I'm not in any way suggesting this has an effect on the outcome of the tests, just making sure readers are aware.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

December 15th, 2010 16:00

RD,

the disclaimer, that Microsoft sponsored this testing, is certainly "fair game", regardless of whether their $$$ had any influence/impact on the testing.

I'd just like to note one other statistic:   that IE8 blocked 90% in this test.   I consider this important because 1) IE9 is not an option for XP users, who have no choice but to stick-it-out with IE8 (or else, upgrade to a newer operating system); and 2) comparing IE8 to IE9 is a comparison between Microsoft products, and so would appear to be on a level playing field (as opposed to any question of Microsoft's $$ wanting to out-shine its competitors).

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

December 15th, 2010 17:00

Nice links, RD.

It's an axiom in scientific research that the narrower the question one asks, the easier it is to control for confounding variables that might otherwise skew the results, to arrive at a valid conclusion. And these tests ask a very narrow question indeed, under very controlled circumstances, which may or may not apply to the average end-user. Overall browser protection and vulnerabilities were not evaluated.

As Google's reply indicated, NSS tested Google Chrome v6, (the latest version available at the time of testing) and might not apply to the currently available Chrome v8. Presumably they will be using Chrome 8 in the forthcoming Q4 tests.

Can't wait to test IE9 in Win 7 (I'll pass on the beta, though).

159 Posts

December 19th, 2010 07:00

Its very good but the main problem which prevents users from using IE is the speed and abilities of it. For example Firefox has many plugins and it has much more features. So IE should improve its features firstly if it wants to become the first browser on the net.

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

December 19th, 2010 08:00

Bestis:

Actually Internet Explorer is still the "first" in market share of all browsers, although its share has fallen in recent years.

I don't think many in this forum take any position as to which browser is the "best" or the "safest", although I'm sure all have their opinion as to which best serves their needs most of the time, and thus becomes their default browser. I myself have 4 browsers installed, and use them all from time to time, for various reasons.

We do tend to post info on security aspects of browsers  (new versions, vulnerabilities, and patches) as they  become available, for discussion purposes.

Unlike many forums, I think you will find that very few here post strong opinions as to the "best program" in any security category (AV, firewall, browser, anti-malware etc). Opinions are always welcome, of course, but new info is appreciated more.

1.1K Posts

February 11th, 2011 10:00

I saw the IE 9 marked as RC this morning.

Now I received an e-mail from MS that IE9 available for download.

Does that mean within 24hours the IE9 RC has become final version? If that is the case will it be offered through the WU?

I am by the way from Europe and our Windows 7 OSdo not have IE as default option. I remember [so long ago I am not too sure if had to download twice] downloading IE 8 [both versions x64bit & the x32bit] after the OS installment.

No Events found!