Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 1st, 2010 23:00

Inspiron Mini 10/Windows XP/Problem with McAfee AV install

I am  problem with Inspiron Mini 10 running Windows XP and McAfee AV programs.

Was using pre-installed McAfee security program.  Having problems, so I attempted install of Total Protection Service, as I have multi-PC subscription.  Here is history:

1.      Had problem with pre-installed McAfee.  Not updating and appeared to be inhibiting wireless access.

2.      Downloaded and ran McAfee Virtual Technician.  Indicated register problems and fixed.

3.      Problems continued.  Ran MVT again, several times, each time indicating registry problems.

4.      Decided to remove existing McAfee and install McAfee Total Protection Service via download with existing 3-PC subscription.

5.      Removed old program using Windows program removal tool.

6.      Download would not complete as indicated conflicting program (virus scan).

7.      Downloaded and ran McAfee Consumer Product Removal Tool, Virus cleanup program; still not same message after several attempts.

8.      Contacted McAfee support and was provided “fix.bat” file to run.

9.      Ran fix.bat.  That eliminated conflicting program and download and install appeared to be successful.

10.  However, on re-boot, PC would stall at Windows XP logo with bar and moving blue squares screen before log-in screen.

11.  Powered off PC and restarted; Blue screen indicating improper Windows shut down appeared with options to start normally, start in safe mode or start with last good settings.

12.  Would not reboot normally (same as 10).

13.  Rebooted with last good settings.  Virus program screens appear normal, but was not functional.  Ran MVT and showed many registry problems and missing “services” and files.

14.  Removed program as above and repeated at least 4 times.  Same result each time.

15.  Contacted McAfee support.  After two very long sessions, McAfee said hard drive had problems per CHKDSK report; told to contact hardware vendor.

16.  Ran CHKDSK with /F switch on drive C through Windows.

17.  Contacted Dell.  Long session.  With Dell interactive support, ran diagnostics and completely reinstalled OS; Dell said drive and OS OK.  Dell then "recommended" TPS or McAfee "Virus Scan Plus"

18.  Attempted re-install of McAfee TPS.  Same result as above.

19.  Compeletely removed and attempted re-install with same results as above.

20.  Took unit to my local PC tech.  They replicated problem the removed TPS.  Their opinion was the TPS was "too much".  Said PC and drive OK. 

21.  Attempted install of "Virus Scan Plus"; same result - install appears good but PC will hang at Windows XP page before log in.

22.  Have now installed Microsoft Security Essentials.  Works

23.  What gives, Dell???

March 30th, 2010 17:00

I am having the very same issue. McAfee 2009 worked no problem so it may not be as Dell issue but it only appears to happen on Dell Netbooks... Dell you might need too look at a different BIOS build as I feel alot of people are affected by this.

1 Message

May 11th, 2010 14:00

I am having the very same issue. McAfee 2009 worked no problem so it may not be as Dell issue but it only appears to happen on Dell Netbooks... Dell you might need too look at a different BIOS build as I feel alot of people are affected by this.

I am so glad to know that I am not the only one with this crazy problem.  I got my new Inspiron 1010 the end of April.  First thing I did was update the McAfee to the VirusScan Plus multiple subscription that I have.  Noticed the netbook was really slow.  Ran a scan the first night and when I woke up I found the dreaded blue screen.  Tried to reboot and sat on the Windows XP screen for like a 1/2 hour before it went to blue screen again.  So I called Dell.  They sent me a new hard drive.  Got that installed and of course reinstalled McAfee.  This time it only lasted an hour before blue screen.  Called them back and got them to agree to send me a new laptop.  Only after the fact did it occur to me (and not Dell Support that maybe McAfee was the problem) so I got into safe mode and uninstalled McAfee and boom.  Computer is all better.  Well I got my new netbook and decided to try the install again after hearing about all the problems McAfee had with a recent DAT file and thought maybe it was because of that update and in the two weeks since this started they had a fix.  Well nope.  Same problem.  So I have removed McAfee and now need to figure out what program is going to work.  Oviously the old McAfee program works since the 30 day free that came with was working fine.  What ever compatablity issue is causing this problem has cost Dell and me a lot of time and money and McAfee a customer.

1 Rookie

• 

2.2K Posts

May 11th, 2010 15:00

The common element seems to be McAfee. My advice is to get rid of it and do whatever is necessary to get a clean plate so to speak, even if some subscription remains, and thereafter use only free security products, preferably free standing ones instead of suites.

881 Posts

May 11th, 2010 17:00

Hi BANELINE1 - I have a two month old Dell Studio XPS 8100. It ran great right at first and then all kinds of strange things began to happen: BSOD's, lock-ups, a crash or three. Uninstalled McAfee then uninstalled again with the tool from the McAfee site. Installed Avast! and things have been smooth as silk ever since. I had a 15 month subscription to McAfee with the new system so I was at first reluctant to get rid of it. The best thing I could have done!!

Good Luck.

Jeff

May 15th, 2010 08:00

Interesting.  I have three Dell Mini 9's.  All are the upper end models with 16 GB SS drives, and all came with Viruscan pre-installed.  I always had issues with McAfee updating...you would never see the little spinning arrow in the system tray...although Viruscan worked fine otherwise.  Ultimately I reinstalled WinXP on all three machines.  Note that this was a totally clean install of XP SP3...NOT a restore.  Two of the Mini's have XP Home, while the other has XP Professional installed.

After the fresh installation, McAfee worked fine, and I upgraded all of my computers to McAfee Total Protection back in January '10.  (I don't install the "complete" McAfee suite, just Viruscan, Firewall, Disk Cleaner, and SiteAdvisor).  Again, everything was fine, until now.  McAfee recently revamped their interface.  Those of you who use it will notice that the system tray icon changed from the familiar red square "M" icon to the newer "shield" icon, and the program's interface totally (and stupidly!) changed to a new (and totally cumbersome!) style. 

At some point when McAfee performs an update, it will install this major update forcing you to the newer interface.  A system restart will be required.  As soon as this happens, all of the issues mentioned in your message takes place.  The system hangs at the Windows XP boot screen.  The only way to get booted is to revert to the last good boot configuration.  When you get booted, the McAfee icon is in the system tray, however, it is not functional and can't even be uninstalled from the Control Panel.  Fortunately I perform frequent TrueImage backup.  Went through the uninstall, run MCRP to clean out all the prior McAfee stuff, then reinstall the program.  It works...until you reboot!  Then it does exactly the same thing all over again.  Tried the McAfee Virtual Technician with the same results as you received.

Oddly, I have a Dell Studio 19 and several other Dell full-sized laptops, as well as DOZENS of others systems for which I provide support. All have the identical version of Viruscan installed, and all work fine.   I even have this installed on a couple of Asus EeePC's and it works fine.  I thought that this issue (when I first received the Mini's and had problems) had something to do with Dell's factory XP install or perhaps a piece of the Dell software that came pre-loaded?  Since my systems were all clean installed and really have none of the pre-loaded stuff installed (except Dell Support Center..which I don't believe is the problem since it is on all the other Dell's also) this doesn't seem to be the case.  Also someone mentioned the Dell BIOS.  I am not sure if this is the issue either as a couple of my other Dell's BIOS of the same origin?

At this point I have a bit of a dilemna as I have about 20 personal computers/laptops/netbooks, all protected by McAfee Total Protection, and three Dell Mini's that choke on it everytime!  I can revert the Mini's back to their last backup but eventually McAfee with force their new crappy interface down my throat and the problem will return.  Obviously this is a common issue with certain Dell computers and McAfee Viruscan products.  Dell sells McAfee as the premium protection for their computers. 

So my question is this:  Dell being a BIG company, and McAfee being a big company deriving a lot of business from Dell, why doesn't someone at Dell and someone at McAfee take note of this issue, get together with a couple of the computer models exhibiting these problems, and RESOLVE the matter! 

May 15th, 2010 10:00

Hi all,

Please read http://community.mcafee.com/thread/22336?tstart=0 as this issue seems to have been resolved by McAfee.

Regards,

Luke

No Events found!