Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 15th, 2006 12:00

Internet Problems.McAfee expired.

Hopefully this is the correct forum to post in.

I recieved my new Dell Inspiron E1405 about  3 months ago and the McAfee software that it came with expired about two days ago.
All of the sudden my computer has started acting odd.
Most of the problem is when I get on the internet. My home page comes up just fine. When I try to go to certain web sites, the web page will freeze up and say (Not Responding).
This also happened when I did the following:
Tools> Internet Options> Settings> View Files
At this point, when I close the box for viewing files, it freezes up and says it is not responding.

I am only assuming that these actions have something to do with my McAffee subscription expiring. I still have the personal firewall, but no virus scan or spam killer. I do not want McAfee again because it will cost me more than I would like to pay to renew my subscription. But my computer worked PERFECT before this software expired!

WHAT SHOULD I DO??

8.8K Posts

September 15th, 2006 14:00

Have you tried to use thier uninstalller and if you are able to do that just put this AVG7-AntiVirus-FREE
in it's place so you have a VP.

Steve

5 Posts

September 18th, 2006 16:00

Actually, I wish I knew if McAfee was the problem. Even though my subscription has expired, I still have a firewall.  The problem does have to do with the internet. The internet runs fine, fast as usual, EXCEPT for CERTAIN websites. These certain ones take a long time to load or my computer will freeze up. My computer also tells me that Internet exploring is "( Not responding)" when I try and close an open window that is online.  I have run different virus scans, but they all say there is no virus deteced. I don't understand how having no anti-virus can result in my computer acting like this if there is no virus. Could it be spyware? Does antivirus get rid of or stop this?

8.8K Posts

September 18th, 2006 18:00

@nuttd05 wrote:
Actually, I wish I knew if McAfee was the problem. Even though my subscription has expired, I still have a firewall. The problem does have to do with the internet. The internet runs fine, fast as usual, EXCEPT for CERTAIN websites. These certain ones take a long time to load or my computer will freeze up. My computer also tells me that Internet exploring is "( Not responding)" when I try and close an open window that is online. I have run different virus scans, but they all say there is no virus deteced. I don't understand how having no anti-virus can result in my computer acting like this if there is no virus. Could it be spyware? Does antivirus get rid of or stop this?

First off all at NO times should be without a VP.

If you are using IE, then make sure it is up todate, personally I don't like IE.

As far as it being Spyware, could it be....sure it "could" be but at this point it doesn't sound like it.

I would suggest two things...

Only use IE for Windows updates, make sure you do those every week.

Got to www.getfirefox.com and download that browser.. You will love it if you aren't already using it.

Now let's take a peek inside the system...

Go to here and download HiJackThis to its own folder that you create on your C:\ drive at C:\HJT.
After it is downloaded open the program and click Scan and Save to log.

Post the log that it generates in the HiJackThisForum for analysis.

thanks,
ZB1

I have asked this person to post a HJT log in the HJT forum, please do not repond to this thread anymore as it is consider closed.

1 Message

September 26th, 2020 09:00

Coincidentally, my McAfee VP expired at midnight last night and, the minute it expired, my Dell laptop crashed and I now have the black screen of death. I was going to install a different VP after it expired, but can’t now. As another poster said, there were zero problems ever prior to this.

No Events found!