Start a Conversation

Unsolved

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 19th, 2018 14:00

MBAE not working

Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit v1.11.1.48 suddenly doesn't seem to be working on my Win 7Pro+SP1, 32-bit desktop.

The MBAE service is running according to Task Manager but the MBAE icon doesn't appear on the taskbar, like it did in past.

Double-clicking the MBAE shortcut on the Start menu doesn't do anything and navigating to the MBAE folder and double-clicking mbae.exe doesn't do anything either.

I've avoided updating Malwarebytes Home (free) beyond 2.2.1.1043 because I know that later versions of MB don't let MBAE run as a stand-alone.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks!

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

December 20th, 2018 04:00

Sometimes reinstalling it (over itself) may fix the issue. By the way, I don't recall if there's a reason why you're keeping that old version... the latest release is 1.12 build 145 https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/205225-mbae-112-build-145-latest-experimental-build-dec-18-2018/

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 20th, 2018 09:00

Thanks for your reply. The last MBAE installer package on my hard drive is for v1.11.1.48. Normally MBAE just updates itself automatically and then tells me when it did.

I ran that installer this morning and it uninstalled MBAE and reinstalled it. After a few min, a box popped up that said MBAE had updated to v1.12.1.141. So it seems to be working, but the taskbar icon is still missing and I don't see anywhere that I can enable it. MBAE doesn't appear on the list of apps where it shows which ones can display their icon on the taskbar. It was always on that list in the past and appeared on my taskbar.

As for not updating Malwarebytes, there was a problem a  while back where newer MB versions didn't let the standalone MBAE run. Has that changed?

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

December 20th, 2018 12:00

My understanding of MB vs. MBAE:

1)  EVERY time you install a new version of MB, it will automatically delete MBAE.

2) After installing a version of MB, if for some reason you prefer having the separate MBAE, then 2a) you can opt to disable the version of Anti-Exploit included/running in MB, and then 2b) separately install MBAE.   But I really don't see this serving any purpose.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 20th, 2018 12:00

OK, I'll give that a try.

But it doesn't explain why the MBAE icon has suddenly gone MIA.  So now, the only way I know MBAE is running is by making sure its processes are "running" in Task Manager.

On my Win 10 lappy with separate MBAE and MB, the MBAE icon is on the taskbar, but not on my Win 7 desktop... So strange...  :TongueTied:

And, yes, scanning with MB etc didn't find anything objectionable today...

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 20th, 2018 14:00

Fixed it... I saw a post on their forum about the icon not being shown which said to use Revo Uninstaller to uninstall MBAE, and then reinstall it.

That did the trick. Icon back on my taskbar again. Wonder what made it disappear in the first place?

Now I'll have to see what happens if I update to latest Malwarebytes...

1 Rookie

• 

2.2K Posts

December 20th, 2018 16:00

I haven't any attention to MBAE except to note it was "running" all these many months. So I checked it awhile ago and it discovered I still have the beta version, even though I had it set to it to update to newer versions. I suspect this might be happening because I have been leery of upgrading to MBAM version MB3, preferring to keep 2.2.1.1043.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 20th, 2018 17:00

@dalem29 wrote:
I haven't any attention to MBAE except to note it was "running" all these many months. So I checked it awhile ago and it discovered I still have the beta version, even though I had it set to it to update to newer versions. I suspect this might be happening because I have been leery of upgrading to MBAM version MB3, preferring to keep 2.2.1.1043.

I'm still with MB 2.2.1.1043 too for the same reasons.  :Wink:

After I uninstalled MBAE the first time today and reinstalled 1.11.1.48, it very soon afterwards announced it had updated itself automatically to 1.12.1.141.

But after I uninstalled using Revo Uninstaller and then reinstalled 1.11.1.48, it didn't notify me it had updated automatically to 1.12.1.141, which I just noticed while typing this. But at least its taskbar icon is still there.

Way too complicated for my feeble brain.... :Embarrassed:

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

December 20th, 2018 18:00

I have never used MBAE, but did have a question. My understanding is that MBAE is incorporated into Malwarebytes 3, making a standalone MBAE redundant, but I was not certain if the free version of MB3 provided MBAE protection. (I must say that MB3 premium, after a somewhat rocky start, has worked well for me without glitches for a number of years now, and I assume this is true for the free version as well).

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

December 20th, 2018 18:00

Dale:

MBAE is in "perpetual beta" --- there is no other version.   So for anyone choosing to run MBAE, the beta is fine.

The good news is that the perpetual beta includes (for FREE) all the features of what used to be the paid/pro version --- that is to say, you can (optionally) add shields for any additional programs you wish MBAE to cover (in addition to those included by default).

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

December 21st, 2018 04:00

If memory serves me, MBAE (as well as all REAL-TIME features of MB) is/are functional only in the PAID/Premium version of MB... the free version is simply an on-demand scanner for "malware".

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 21st, 2018 10:00

@ky331 wrote:

If memory serves me, MBAE (as well as all REAL-TIME features of MB) is/are functional only in the PAID/Premium version of MB... the free version is simply an on-demand scanner for "malware".

That's what I remember too. And when you update to the free MB v3.xxx it disables the free MBAE.

So after that happened to me a while back, I had to uninstall both MB v3.xxx and MBAE. Then reinstall free MB v2.xxx and free MBAE again.

I only use free MB v2.xxx on demand and just have MBAE running in the background. But every time I run MB, it nags me about updating to v3, which I just ignore. 

Makes me wonder how much longer they'll support free standalone MBAE and provide definitions updates for MB v2...?

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

December 21st, 2018 16:00

Thanks for that clarification. Now I understand why you resist upgrading to MB3 free.

I just didn't want folks reading this thread to  think that MB3 free was still unstable. I  load  it onto family members' computers I support, but I'm reluctant to load a beta version of MBAE which is likely beyond their capabilities to use. Windows Defender for Win10 plus MB3 free seems to work well for them.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 21st, 2018 17:00

MBAE version 1.12.1.141 (free) isn't marked "beta" anywhere on its download page. It was released 12-15-18.

So far, no issues with MBAE since I uninstalled it with Revo, reinstalled the previous version and let it auto-update itself back to 1.12.1.141. (fingers x-d!)

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

December 21st, 2018 18:00

I don't want to quibble, but the latest release of MBAE (Dec. 20/2018) is described as a beta version and "experimental build").

Source: https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/205225-mbae-112-build-147-latest-experimental-build-dec-20-2018/

The problems you experienced are reason enough for me to not recommend MBAE to folks who are not computer savvy (beta or not).

No Events found!