Start a Conversation

Unsolved

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

May 12th, 2021 11:00

MSASCuiL.exe missing

Since the recent update/fix for Windows Defender, the ccleaner registry tool keeps reporting that MSASCuiL.exe (Windows Defender notification icon) is missing at startup.

Had ccleaner delete the registry key, but after rebooting, the ccleaner registry tool still flags that same item as missing.

Can't even find that file anywhere on my PC. I do see the "Windows Security notification" icon on the taskbar. So if that replaced the WD notification icon, what app is still calling for the Windows Defender notification icon?

Anybody else noticed this?

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

May 12th, 2021 22:00

Ron:

Welcome to the wonderful world of Widows Defender, formerly known as MSE, now rechristened as Microsoft Defender in the Microsoft Security world. I can't find this program under any of these names in my files. I suspect it lives in the cloud these days. I can still run a quick scan from the security centre (with no GUI).

As far as the MSASCuiL.exe (the Windows Defender Icon that used to live in the notification area) I haven't seen that file for a long time on any of my Win 10 systems, and I suspect it was revoked when WD became Microsoft Defender. I'm not getting any nags about its removal, but then I have never used the Registry cleaning tools of Ccleaner.

I do have a shield icon in my taskbar or notification area labelled Windows Security. Neither WinPatrol Plus or my Taskmanager or CCleaner lists anything resembling Microsoft Security/defender as programs that load at startup. Yet the Security Center assures me it is loaded at startup and running in real time.

Go figure.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

May 12th, 2021 23:00

@joe53  - I also see a shield icon in the notification tray on taskbar that says "Windows Security" when hovering over it.

On the Processes in Task Manager, I see "Windows Security notification icon" listed when the "Windows Security Health Services" entry is expanded. And "Windows Security notification icon" is also listed on the Startup tab in Task Manager.

When I check properties for "Windows Security notification icon", it's actually the SecurityHealthSysTray.exe app which is located in the C:\Windows\System32 folder.

So that all seems to be ok, but there's no sign of MSASCuiL.exe anywhere, aside from ccleaner's registry tool says it's missing at startup. So some registry key or app must be looking for MSASCuiL.exe. Just don't understand why that same error keeps appearing even after I tell ccleaner to fix it.

Another in the never-ending series of The Mysteries from Redmond. So guess I should just ignore the absence of MSASCuiL.exe...

No Events found!