Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 30th, 2011 11:00

McAfee Desktop Icon

The McAfee desktop icon keeps appearing on my desktop (L502x i7 Win Pro 64bits) so I visited their site to find that this issue is known and not being fixed!

When I bought this laptop, I opted for the 3 yr account! Is there anyway I can have Dell, who keeps pushing this piece of malware, pressure the McAfee crowd to fix this?

Or is there a way I can have a credit to my account so I can uninstall this program and install something like Microsoft Security Essentials?

regards

20.5K Posts

December 31st, 2011 11:00

Hi pran,

I do not believe that Dell is "pushing..malware". McAfee's security is far from being malware.

A couple of questions so I can understand the issue better:

Your wanting credit gives me the impression that the subscription has not expired. In that case, why don't you simply remove McAfee and run McAfee's Removal Tool? If you need help doing that feel free to post back here. I do not think McAfee or Dell will give you credit for the unused time on the subscription.

Or are you saying that your subscription ran out so you have removed McAfee, but the icon still remains? 

2.7K Posts

December 31st, 2011 11:00

pran, Have you tried this fix from McAfee?

service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx  

2 Posts

December 31st, 2011 12:00

APS@SUN, I have the same issue going on with my PC.  This has been going on for a few weeks, since the latest McAfee update was pushed out.  I have been researching this and have ran the ICON display tool as instructed from that link.  It did not fix the issue.  I even contacted McAfee customer service without resolving the issue.  I guess we will need to keep deleting the shortcut until McAfee pushes out the next update and hope that they receive enough negative feedback to address this issue.

20.5K Posts

December 31st, 2011 13:00

I have the same issue going on with my PC. 
I still do not understand what the original poster's issue is -- an icon that remains after uninstalling McAfee, or one that shows up while McAfee is still installed.  

@Biker Jo, did you try running the Icon Removal Tool in Safemode?

2 Posts

The issue with the original poster (the same as my issue), a shortcut for McAfee Security Center is created after boot cycle.  I am running Windows 7, and have an active subscription with McAfee for AntiVirus software.  On 12/21/2011 a Security Center upgrade was pushed out. (Version 11.0, Build 11.0.649).   I have attempted to follow McAfee instructions found at the above link.  This is the recommended "fix" according to McAfee Customer Service FAQ's.  The instructions require you have administrative rights in order for the change to take effect.  As I stated, I followed those instructions verbatum.  They did not suggest running in Safe Mode, and I personally did not attempt to perform in Safe Mode.

20.5K Posts

If I were you, I would try running it in Safemode.

2.7K Posts

December 31st, 2011 14:00

I believe it is the icon that shows up on the desktop when McAfee is installed. I have a XPS Desktop with McAfee installed and the icon appeared after one of the last updates.

2.7K Posts

December 31st, 2011 14:00

community.mcafee.com/.../219977

It is a bug and McAfee is working on this. The icon keeps coming back even after it is deleted.

20.5K Posts

December 31st, 2011 16:00

Yes, aps@sun, I know that, but we are trying to find a fix or workaround for the bug.:emotion-15:

20.5K Posts

January 1st, 2012 12:00

That's a classical malware behaviour, won't you say?
Not really.You are subscribed to legitimate software, and have been using it. The problem is apparently a bug in the software. If McAfee says it will fix it, I'm sure they will do as promised.

26 Posts

January 1st, 2012 12:00

aps@sun: this I tried! It did not work.

My laptop came with this program pre-installed as part of a 3 yr subscription. The problem showed up after a McAfee update. And (maybe my perception) it is getting more annoying! I've deleted this shortcut but it comes back. It has a particular spot on my desktop it has claimed as its own. Now, I expect that if I delete an icon it stays deleted. So I checked the McAfee website and apparantly this annoyance is very widespread. That's a classical malware behaviour, won't you say?

Anyway, the moderators on that website say that when the company programmers return from holidays they'll work on a fix. In the meantime the customers have to wait.

So not having a choice I wait.

Thanks for the input guys....

2.7K Posts

January 1st, 2012 13:00

Pran, I have the same problem on one of my computers that came from Dell with McAfee installed.  This icon is indeed a bug. I also tried the various ways to remove the icon and it comes right back-you do not even have to reboot. The best option right now is to wait until MCAfee privides a fix.

26 Posts

January 2nd, 2012 11:00

Apparantly the boys and girls at McAfee are working on a fix.

I just had an automated update (to which I said "please do...") and it may have the fix built in.

I am entitled to hope, right?

regards

20.5K Posts

January 2nd, 2012 17:00

Yes, you are. :emotion-2:

Good luck! :emotion-21:

26 Posts

January 2nd, 2012 18:00

Tried. Didn't work. But on their forum one of their moderators stated a fix was in the works.

I thought that today's pushed update would have had the fix as part of it, but no joy.

regards

No Events found!