Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

February 1st, 2004 00:00

McAfee-several questions-uninstalling, e-mail scanning, and virus definitions list

I have had Norton in the past but this computer came with McAfee. I can't figure out how to get it to scan e-mail as it comes in. Does it not do this? I can't even figure out how to scan an attachment in an e-mail. (I sent an attachment to myself to test it) I have Outlook Express. Does McAfee not scan e-mail in Outlook Express? (Maybe it only scans e-mail with Outlook as opposed to not scanning with Outlook Express?)

My next question is where is the virus definitions list? With Norton you can click on the virus definitions and it gives you a long list of all the viruses you are protected against and a number of the amount of viruses. I can not find anything like that with McAfee, does it not have this feature?

And I found where you must uninstall McAfee Virus Scan Online, but the directions say to go to start, programs, McAfee and click McAfee Virus Scan Online. I do not have a McAfee Virus Scan Online!!! I called Dell Support and he said to just go to add/remove and click delete. But according to the directions on the Dell web site you are not supposed to do that. What is going on? I know I have McAfee Virus Scan Online (according to the website). It says if you have a large red box with a white M inside you have McAfee Virus Scan Online, which is what I have. It says if you have a large V in a box then you do not. Can anyone answer any of my questions? I would appreciate any replies. Thank you.

426 Posts

February 1st, 2004 03:00

Does McAfee not scan e-mail in Outlook Express? (Maybe it only scans e-mail with Outlook as opposed to not scanning with Outlook Express?)

It does not scan emails themselves.  It will scan attachments as you attempt to open them.

My next question is where is the virus definitions list? With Norton you can click on the virus definitions and it gives you a long list of all the viruses you are protected against and a number of the amount of viruses. I can not find anything like that with McAfee, does it not have this feature?

It does not have this feature within the program itself, which saves you some space.  The list of viruses that McAfee protects you from is available at http://vil.nai.com/vil/default.asp

Insoifar as the answers to the above questions and the remainder of your questions, I found the answers here:  http://ts.mcafeehelp.com/dell/

63 Posts

February 1st, 2004 11:00

Blackie, thank you for your reply. I really like Norton better then, don't you? Have you ever had Norton? When you have Norton, it automatically scans ALL incoming messages and alerts you if something is found. As far as the virus definitions is concerned, you can go to your own icon on your computer when you have Norton and click on it and it will tell you all the viruses your computer is protected against. It will give you the number of viruses you are protected against as well as the list. You can go down the list and look and see if the name of the latest virus is listed. If it is, then you know you are protected from it. Sigh, if only I could of gotten Norton to install. I tried and tried and it would not install. I kept getting the error message and I did what they said to do but I still kept coming up with the error message, so I am back to McAfee.

I am thinking the reason I could not get Norton to install is because I could not uninstall McAfee the way they tell you to do online at McAfee. If you go to McAfee it says to uninstall VirusScan Online. It says to click start, click programs, click McAfee.com, click McAfee.com VirusScan Online, click Uninstall VirusScan Online. The VBScript: McAfee.com VirusScan Online appears. Click Yes. The McAfee.com Uninstaller: McAfee.com VirusScan Online window appears, click restart.

Well now, when I go to start, programs, I get McAfee, then I get McAfee Virus Scan, then across from McAfee Virus Scan I get:active shield,create rescue disk,manage quarantined files,scan for viruses.

I do not get McAfee.com and I do not have a McAfee.com VirusScan Online. I got to thinking maybe I didn't have virus scan online. I called Dell and asked how to find the virus scan online and read to him what the website said and he said to just go to add/remove programs and remove it there. I did that, but like I said before, Norton would not install. I went to the McAfee web site and they said the way to tell if you have VirusScan Online or not would be if you had a red box with a white M inside it on your task bar. That is what I have. It said if you had a large V on the task bar then you did not have virus scan online. So do you see the problem? I can not find the thing I am supposed to find to be able to uninstall it. Does anyone know?

426 Posts

February 1st, 2004 13:00

Frankly, I don't care for either McAfee or Norton.   With all the problems I've seen relating to those two in this forum, it's clear that they both have problems.  I currently use CA's EZtrust program which serves me very well.  And I have no problem with scanning email because I don't use Outhouse Suxpress; I use PocoMail which has an option to use any virus scanner to scan email and it's attachments upon arrival.  Insofar as telling me about how many and viruses, I'm protected from, I don't really care about the quantity or whether I have to find out online.  All I care is if I am being protected by the latest viruses in the wild.  Personally I don't need all that stuff cluttering up my drive and if I can find about them online, that's all that is necessary.  Further, the big numbers don't impress me since well over half of those either no longer exist or the possiblity of infection is so remote that I have a bigger chance of winning the powerball lottery.

As for your McAfee problem, at the site for McAfee where you found the automatic removal instructions, if you look further down that page you'll find the *Manual Removal* instructions.  If the automatic removal doesn't work or isn't available, then you should carefully follow those instructions for removal.

725 Posts

February 1st, 2004 13:00

I agree 100% with BBlackie.  In fact Etrust offers this free until June 30, 2004.  You can get it here.  Etrust does handle email attachments.  It checks them when you try to open the attachment rather than when the email arrives.  That is good enough for me because I know that is how it works.

63 Posts

February 1st, 2004 19:00

Thank you Blackie I will go back and look again at the directions for removal. The thing is all this computer stuff can get so complicated....................

63 Posts

February 1st, 2004 20:00

Thank you again Blackie. I went to McAfee and found the manual way to get rid of it. Do you think that is why Norton didn't install before?? Because I didn't do all that? I would really like to have Norton, but I am really scared to try it again after what I have been through. But once McAfee expires in a year I might try Norton again if I thought it would work. Boy am I kicking myself today after seeing the manual uninstall...................
No Events found!