Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 1st, 2022 17:00

McAffee Pre-installed Software

I did not want McAfee and did not renew it. I am now repeatedly tormented by pop-up ads pushing me to buy McAfee.  I did not spend so much money on a new Dell to be interrupted and distracted by advertising while I am trying to work. This is making me so angry that I wish I could return the computer.  How do I make the ads stop?  The directions that I have don't work as when I go to uninstall the app I can't as I don't technically have McAfee.  This is a great way to alienate customers.

5 Posts

June 29th, 2023 16:00

No CCleaner did not touch it. Nor did Revo Uninstaller, nor did stopping all notifications in Edge and Chrome. I called Dell and after 3 technicians got on my computer remotely, we finally found that it was something installed by Fast Company (checked Task Manager when the popup was running), executable was named nwjs.exe. It appeared to be installed the day I removed McAfee from my new computer - first day I had it. It was called PC App Store. We uninstalled it and finally the pop-ups stopped. Further research McAfee claims it is not their software doing this. But then when I had not installed anything else on my computer on the first day, why did it get installed? 

• 

25.1K Posts

April 2nd, 2022 13:00

We tried reaching you on a private message asking for the Service Tag number to ascertain the warranty but did not receive a response. Please feel free to reply to the private message whenever you are available.

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

April 2nd, 2022 18:00

@Ms Dissatisified - How did you uninstall McAfee? If you didn't use McAfee's own uninstaller tool, things get left behind. There are posts around the net about this exact problem with popups. So use the McAfee tool and see if puts an end to them.

BTW: What are you using instead of McAfee? Did you install something else or are you using Windows Defender? Did you check to make sure whatever you're using now is actually working? There is a bunch of malware that pretends to be McAfee and tries to get users to click a link, which -obviously- installs more malware.

So if the McAfee tool doesn't solve the problem, you may want to install Malwarebytes (free) and let it scan your PC for possible malware and see if that puts an end to this problem.

Malwarebytes (free) will only run when you intentionally launch it, so it won't interfere with other antivirus/antimalware apps like Windows Defender, etc.

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

April 2nd, 2022 21:00

I've made this point in the past, and it won't help the OP, unfortunately.

But for the benefit of purchasers of new Dell systems that include bundled McAfee security in the price (with no option to opt out), be aware that:

1) McAfee security products are respected, but have not provided better protection for Windows 10 according to independent 3rd party testing websites (AV-Comparatives, AV-Test, and SE Labs) than has Windows Security (AKA Microsoft Defender) which is the built-in security from Microsoft that comes free with Windows10/11.

2) Because of repeated posts in this forum regarding difficulty completely uninstalling McAfee security products, even using their uninstall tool, I have always never activated/registered the McAfee software, but have always uninstalled it as job #1 when firing up my last several Dell systems for the first time.

I don't believe I used the McAfee uninstall tool to do this, just the Windows uninstall in Apps and Features.

Invariably, no McAfee files or folders were left behind. When uninstalling McAfee in this way, Microsoft Defender is automatically activated so you are not left unprotected.

3) I have no beef with the paid McAfee, I just don't see it as having provided superior malware protection compared to the free Microsoft Defender for several years.

5 Posts

June 20th, 2023 11:00

ME TOO - I uninstalled McAfee when I first got my new computer and now I am being harassed by their incessant popups. Saying this in radioactive-red pop-ups:

“Emerging cyber-attack techniques threaten devices worldwide and may let hackers: steal your passwords; infiltrate private photos, emails, documents; [and] exploit hardware flaws in your devices.”

I ran their stupid MCPR.exe tool that "supposedly" removes everything - well guess what - it's back and I am furious. How do I get rid of it - it appears to be associated with the Dell install. This is a brand new computer and I am running Windows Defender. I don't want McAfee.

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

June 20th, 2023 12:00

@LPL1700  - Have you looked in Windows Task Scheduler to see if there's any McAfee task running, which might be launching these pop-ups?  Don't disable anything in Task Scheduler unless you're certain you know what it is and really don't need it.

Also look in Start>Run>services.msc and see if any McAfee services are listed. Double-click any McAfee and set its Startup Type to disabled. Again, don't disable anything unless you're certain you know what it is and really don't need it.

When done, reboot PC and see if those annoying scare tactics go away...

5 Posts

June 20th, 2023 12:00

Nothing in Services or Task Scheduler. But I am finding a lot of McAfee garbage in regedit under Local Settings/Software/Microsoft/Windows/Shell/MuiCache AND under ControlPanel/NotifyIconSettings

I am about to delete these manually. What is wrong with a company that does this kind of stuff?

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

June 20th, 2023 16:00

@LPL1700  - Strongly encourage you to back up the entire registry to a file before manually deleting anything in the Registry using regedit.

Alternatively, download/install ccleaner (free) and use its Registry tool to scan the Registry for unnecessary and/or corrupted entries. Accept its offer to back up the keys it will delete before allowing ccleaner to delete anything.

5 Posts

June 21st, 2023 06:00

Yup, that's the recommended method! Thanks for the link to ccleaner.

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

June 21st, 2023 12:00

You're welcome.

Did ccleaner help you get rid of those annoying popups?

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

June 29th, 2023 17:00

Glad you got it sorted...

It's technically true that PC App Store isn't McAfee's software, but it's bundled with McAfee so it gets installed along with McAfee's own software.

The minute you uninstalled McAfee, that triggered the app to start popping up with those nasty/annoying warnings...

No Events found!