Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 31st, 2009 02:00

Mcafee antivirus with Dell studio 15 not working

I bought dell studio 15 on 14 sep 09. For my ease i broke the partition and made new one. I installed Mcafee which is in the package that is free for 15 months. Now it gives the message to renew the subscription and ask me to pay more for the same. i m helpless plz guide me on the subject.thnx

2 Posts

October 31st, 2009 06:00

Similar problem here.

I bought it with a 15 month subscription. When I install it, it gives me only one month trial. Call Dell and tell them to fix it, that's what I'm going to do on monday.

2.4K Posts

October 31st, 2009 11:00

I bought dell studio 15 on 14 sep 09. For my ease i broke the partition and made new one. I installed Mcafee which is in the package that is free for 15 months. Now it gives the message to renew the subscription and ask me to pay more for the same. i m helpless plz guide me on the subject.thnx

Ghaffar231 & aperna

You need  to contact McAfee to fix it the problem.

http://service.mcafee.com/LocaleSelect.aspx?lc=1033&sg=TS&pt=1&st=CHAT

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 31st, 2009 15:00

Hi Ghaffar231 & aperna and welcome,

When you first received your computers and turned them on, McAfee should have notified you to register online to create a McAfee account. Re-installing from the supplied McAfee disk will only give you a 30-day trial version, all re-installs must be done from your McAfee account.

2 Posts

October 31st, 2009 19:00

I'm afraid that's not the case. When I received my laptop I had no internet connection. So the application offered me to delay registration and activation I think. Once I connected to the internet it's when the program asked me to register and activate it and it gave me one month trial.  So it's not due to reinstallation. I have not reinstalled it under Windows Vista, I only reinstalled it under Windows 7 in another partition, but I had run it under Vista for the first time.

I've been chatting with a McAfee representative and all he had was good manners, but no solutions. He addresed me back to Dell so I'll have to call them on Monday I guess. To be honest I have no special interest in having the McAfee software because I'm using some other I've always used but... since I paid for McAfee 15 month subscription, I want to have the right to use it or not during that time. It was in the advertising, it is in the delivery note and now it needs to be registered in McAfee records, as simple as that. I'm not taking it as a problem because I expect it to be solved, Dell has a good reputation as far as I know and these things may happen. But they must be solved.

Thank you people for your help, hope I didn't sound rude!

2 Intern

• 

2.2K Posts

November 1st, 2009 09:00

If it came preinstalled, apparently trying to install it on another partition is having the system see it as another machine, and only allowing the trial version. I know absolutely nothing about partitioning, so I might be all wet here. However, I don't see any Dell liability in this case...McAfee might have a work around. It is issues like this that drove me away from paid security products quite awhile ago. Good luck!

November 5th, 2009 15:00

whats progress at ur` end i had chat with dell staff but i they have not respnded well becoz i think they have not understood problem. Any progress at ur end may plz be notified for my ease.

thnx

14 Posts

November 6th, 2009 02:00

yEP Ghaffar.

It seems it was my fault since I... HADN'T ACTIVATED IT! I thought I had done it in fact I remember watching it. What happened is, as I said, the 1st time I opened my laptop I had no internet connection so it offered me to delay activation. After that I thought it would activate when I connected, but you have to look for that option in the configuration, press activation and taddah!

I'm sure you didn't activate it either. Try going to McAfee icon in the systray and look for configuration, press "activation" and activate it. If not I can't help!

Sorry for the delay in aswering but there was some problem with my account and had to change email and username

No Events found!