Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

September 16th, 2005 17:00

Mcafee problems

Something happened, I still don't know what, but my relatively fast dimension 8400 is crawling.
Using XP, when a user logs in, it takes a long time (recently) to load all their start-up programs, especially Mcafee.
I have several problems I'm troubleshooting.
The error message I'm trying to correct now is:

"Some components of ActiveShield are either missing or might not have been installed properly. Please reinstall ActiveShield"

I have uninstalled and reinstalled a few times.  Once from my original CD, and once online.

Anyone have an idea of what to do now?

September 16th, 2005 19:00

It is through very painfull experience that I have come to to the conclusion that Norton and possibly Mcafee antiviral software is lacking in efectivity.  A couple of months ago I became infected with a Trojan.  It attaracted al kinds of junk including a telephone dialler (dials premium rate numbers).

Moving on, I discovered that folks who write these virus, do so with the knowledge that 98% of people use IE and of the anti-viral software 98% use Norton or Mcafee.  I also found that there was a very good antiviral/spyware/junkmail software available that updated daily as oposed to Norton who only update weekly.  The name of the software is Kaspersky http://www.kaspersky.com/  Its not cheap, but then products of quality are invariably not.

Going to your imediate problem I would suggest the following action if all else fails:
  • Get a Hard Drive
  • Purchase a USB Hard drive enclosure - they are not expensive
  • Format the newly aquired HD
  • Connecting the HD via the USB Socket on your infected PC, backup on to the Hard Drive all the files/data you wish to preserve.
  • Disconect the Hard Drive from the USB socket
  • Reformat the Hard Disk on your infected PC and reinstall Windows.
  • When windows has been installed, install your (Kaspersky) anti-viral software.
  • Coneect the Backup drive and restore the files you wish intall from the back-up disk
    As the data/files are installed on the now clean PC, so the antiviral software will detect them.

Sorry its so long and tedious - Good luck!

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

September 16th, 2005 22:00

in rebuttal to ArcticHarrier:

any "suggestion" to reformat one's hard drive, and/or reinstall windows, should only be made as an absolute last resort.

without trying to make a negative comment about Kaspersky -- for all i know, it may indeed be a wonderful product (except for your own indication that " Its not cheap") --- there is a high consensus among members in the virus/spyware forum that there are two first-rate, yet FREE, anti-virus programs, Grisoft/AVG as well as Avast!, available for the download.  And yes, AVG has been offering daily [on weekdays] updates.

to Tiklar:  it may be that you simply have too many processes running at startup... perhaps malware... including some programs that just "consider" themselves important.   to determine precisely what's running, and to determine if there's any malware involved, you should download the latest version of HJT(hijackthis) (version 1.99.1) from

http://majorgeeks.com/download3155.html

you must create a separate folder and place it there.... people commonly use C:\HJT.   Note:  Please do *NOT* use a TEMP (temporary) folder, *NOR* your DESKTOP, as HJT will be generating log files and backup files in the folder from which it is run... you risk accidentally losing these if you use a TEMP folder, and you will generate extreme clutter if you use your DESKTOP.

The file above comes as a compressed .ZIP file... you have to UNzip it (hopefully, you have an UNzip utility built into your Windows Explorer.   If for any reason, you're unable to UNzip it, you can download the already-unzipped .EXE file from http://downloads.malwareremoval.com/HijackThis.exe )

After Unzipping, double click on HiJackThis.EXE

Click on  Do a System Scan and Save a LogFile

This will automatically open NotePad

Copy the entire file from NotePad:  EDIT/SelectAll, EDIT/Copy

Then go to the new forum dedicated for HiJack This logs (**NOT** back here), and  PASTE the results there:

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board?board.id=si_hijack

Be sure to include a detailed description of any problems/errors/warnings you are encountering.

Hopefully, one of the HJT experts will get to it as quickly as possible.

WARNING:  HiJack This is a VERY POWERFUL tool.  Do *NOT* do anything else (in particular, do NOT use it to delete any entries) until you are advised to do so!!   Improper use of this tool can severely damage your system.

Supplemental note:  The procedure as worded above has been carefully edited over time, so as to expedite the process of helping people.   Nevertheless, it seems that many individuals try to be "creative", and make some variations.  It really would be to your benefit if you follow these directions EXACTLY as stated... because certain changes on your part can result in slowing-down the help process. 
Specifically, the following are 3 very common BAD deviations which will cause delays:
a)  BAD:  using an older/outdated version of HiJackThis...
The experts only work with the current version.   So if you make a post with an older version, you'll simply be advised to get the latest version, re-run it, and re-post your log.
b) BADusing a TEMP directory or your DESKTOP for HJT....
Some experts may insist you move HJT before they'll begin working with you.   Others will start the repair process, advising you to move HJT as one of the very first steps.   Failure to do so can result in losing potentially critical information.   So please,  just use the suggested  C:\HJT  directory, rather than try to be creative.
c) BAD:  posting your log in the wrong forum...
if you post your log back here, in the Virus/SpyWare forum, it will "sit idly", either until the forum moderator gets around to move it for you... or until you decide to repost your log...  in the HiJackThis forum.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

September 16th, 2005 23:00

Artic,

You're right when you say (paraphrasing) "there's more than one way to skin a cat"... or, "different strokes for different folks".   both your advice, as well as mine, may work.  

one significant  advantage of my suggestion is that it's completely FREE.   in contrast, your advice entails BUYING the external hard drive, the USB hard-drive enclosure, and (the admittedly "not cheap") Kaspersky.

as for time --- you complained about the 4 hours you had to use HJT ---- how long does it take to go out and shop for the necessary equipment, connect/set everything up,  format both [external and infected] hard drives, backup/copy all the desired files to the external drive, reinstall windows, and restore/copy the desired files back to the cleaned system???

the one point on which i agree with you is that HJT "is not the easiest o programs to use".  which is why i clearly stated a disclaimer about its power, stressing that it should ONLY be used under expert supervision [such as is offered in the Dell HJT forum].

September 16th, 2005 23:00

I tried Hijack.  It is not the easiest on programs to use.  I gave up after 4 hrs.  The system I described worked and enabled me to get my system running which is what our originator to this thread requires.  There are many ways to solve a problem, the one that suits the individual is the best.

September 19th, 2005 17:00

You're right when you say (paraphrasing) "there's more than one way to skin a cat"... or, "different strokes for different folks".   both your advice, as well as mine, may work.   Agreed!

one significant  advantage of my suggestion is that it's completely FREE.   in contrast, your advice entails BUYING the external hard drive, the USB hard-drive enclosure, and (the admittedly "not cheap") Kaspersky. See below

as for time --- you complained about the 4 hours you had to use HJT ---- how long does it take to go out and shop for the necessary equipment, connect/set everything up,  format both [external and infected] hard drives, backup/copy all the desired files to the external drive, reinstall windows, and restore/copy the desired files back to the cleaned system??? I bought my Hard Drive enclosure for £20.00 (US$36.00) on-line and delivered to the door.  The Kapersky anti-virus, anti spam, anti hacker software for £40.00 (US$72.00) again delivered 'to the PC'.  The HD enclosure is a useful addition to existing h/w; the Kaspersky software a vastly superior to Norton and runs for a year.

the one point on which i agree with you is that HJT "is not the easiest o programs to use".  which is why i clearly stated a disclaimer about its power, stressing that it should ONLY be used under expert supervision [such as is offered in the Dell HJT forum]. You will see that the 'victim' is still attempting to have his inflictions resolved, whereas if he had taken my path he would have rid himself of this plague.  Time is money, by taking the 'cheaper' and longer route it has cost him more.  I rest my case.  It's all a matter of one's viewpoint.  Formating a Hard Drive is not difficult - I will acede that one must have the original software, something that Dell is not shipping out with laptops these days.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

September 19th, 2005 17:00

i think we've already agreed that it's entirely possible that your approach would have worked [perhaps faster]... and that my approach may still work.  we've carefully presented differing views here, in enough detail that people who read this should be able to make an intelligent decision on their own, based on their particular needs/considerations [such as time/money to invest].

i just want to clarify, that since many people here [sometimes young-adults or students, with very limited finances] often indicate a lack of funds when they seek a solution, I make it a point to offer a free solution whenever I believe a free and potentially viable/successful solution exists.  i don't know that i've ever recommended a paid program here, in part because I wouldn't want to be accused of "pushing" anything --- lest anyone get the false impression that I'd personally benefit from their purchase.  

you're right that "time is money".... and for the corporate world, fixing something as quickly as possible is often desirable [if not absolutely required], regardless of the financial cost involved.   But for the average person, with limited resources, they should at least realize there's an alternative.

hopefully, we can bring this "debate" to a close now... with both of us rooting for tiklar to succeed.

September 20th, 2005 07:00

i think we've already agreed that it's entirely possible that your approach would have worked [perhaps faster]... and that my approach may still work.  we've carefully presented differing views here, in enough detail that people who read this should be able to make an intelligent decision on their own, based on their particular needs/considerations [such as time/money to invest]. - I couldn't have put it better myself

i just want to clarify, that since many people here [sometimes young-adults or students, with very limited finances] often indicate a lack of funds when they seek a solution, I make it a point to offer a free solution whenever I believe a free and potentially viable/successful solution exists.  i don't know that i've ever recommended a paid program here, in part because I wouldn't want to be accused of "pushing" anything --- lest anyone get the false impression that I'd personally benefit from their purchase.   Again, I agree.

you're right that "time is money".... and for the corporate world, fixing something as quickly as possible is often desirable [if not absolutely required], regardless of the financial cost involved.   But for the average person, with limited resources, they should at least realize there's an alternative.  True, but with the amount spent, the cost involved is not an inordinate amount.

hopefully, we can bring this "debate" to a close now... with both of us rooting for tiklar to succeed. I accede to you viewpoint, and will close this thread with the thought "What a boring place the world would be if we all agreed about everything  :smileyhappy:  :smileyhappy:

No Events found!