Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 27th, 2011 07:00

Microsoft Security Essentials - how good is it?

My new Vostro 3450 came with Trend Micro but after checking reviews I decided I' d like something better. A Dell technican that was working on another system told me that Microsoft Security Essentials is an excellent antivirus software. I have installed it and I noticed right away that performance is not compromised. Our other systems have Norton Internet Securty which at times takes a lot of CPU usage.

Should I run a scan from a different antivirus supplier occassionally? Microsoft recommends only running their Security Essentials and no other antivirus software. I use Ad Aware as well - should I uninstall it?

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

October 27th, 2011 07:00

Several knowledgeable members of this forum are using MSE, and are happy with (and recommend) it.

[If you are looking for a free program, there aren't many other good choices... avast is a very good free alternative, but it's more complicated to use ---- it has many "options" that users can "tweak", if they're interested].

I would NOT run Ad-Aware with MSE...  First off, I believe Ad-Aware currently includes an anti-virus component, and you DON'T want to be running two real-time anti-virus programs.   Secondly, even if you can disable Ad-Aware's anti-virus component, keeping only "the rest" of the features, I believe there are currently much better anti-malware programs available.

20.5K Posts

October 27th, 2011 08:00

Should I run a scan from a different antivirus supplier occassionally? Microsoft recommends only running their Security Essentials and no other antivirus software.
Just to add to what ky331 posted, if you need a second opinion, running an online scan at sites such as Trend Micro, ESET, F-Secure, or Kaspersky is a better choice than installing a second anti-virus from a different vendor.

After you uninstall anti-virus software, it is always a good idea to run a follow-up with the vendor's removal tool for your version of software just to be sure remnants that might interfere with your new AV have been removed.

If you are looking for free programs, please see these pages for:

LISTS OF FREE SECURITY SOFTWARE  

FREE SECURITY SOFTWARE

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

October 27th, 2011 21:00

I concur with both BB and ky.

I use MSE on 2 Win 7 systems, with absolutely no problems, after 6 months. I love its simplicity. It has probably the lowest incidence of false positive detections of any AV I've used. It has no problem co-existing with my (rather large) stable of software defenses and on-demand scanners.

I felt this was a safe move to make based on the increased security afforded by Win 7 & IE9 compared to their predecessors on my older sytems.

As far as a "second opinion" online AV scan, I agree with BB's recommrndations - but only if you are having problems. Not only do these online scans take a fair amount of time, but the chances of detections being false positives are increased when you have no issues.

For routine "2nd opinion" AV scans, you might consider Hitman Pro, a free online scanner that does not conflict with your real-time AV. I have it installed on all my systems, and it has never given me any problems.  It utilizes engines from 5 reputable AVs,  scans only targeted areas of your system, and only takes a few minutes to run.
http://www.surfright.nl/en/home/

2.7K Posts

October 28th, 2011 15:00

I use MSE essentials on four systems running Windows 7. It has a very simple interface and updates daily.  I have been using MSE for over two years without any problems.  I have several other systems that came with McAfee Security Center subscriptions installed, and I have an occasional problem or two with McAfee.

823 Posts

October 29th, 2011 13:00

I run MSE on all my personal systems. In my opinion, one of the best commercial AVs out there is Kaspersky followed by Webroot.  

20.5K Posts

October 29th, 2011 16:00

I run MSE on my Windows 7 system -- never had a problem with it on that OS. As far as commercial (paid) AV's, I prefer ESET's products.

904 Posts

November 1st, 2011 07:00

Free - Microsoft Security Essentials

Paid - Kaspersky / Nod32 (Esset)

159 Posts

December 2nd, 2011 12:00

I suggest you to run in with another antivirus program. Microsoft Security Essentials can't protect your computer when you only have it.

8.8K Posts

December 2nd, 2011 13:00

I suggest you to run in with another antivirus program. Microsoft Security Essentials can't protect your computer when you only have it.

If that's so I'm in trouble, can you please give me a couple reasons why I shouldn't use it and which one do you suggest?

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

December 2nd, 2011 15:00

MSE just won the 2011 Reader's Choice LifeHacker Award for Best Security Suite.  (Suite???)

http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2011/12/best-security-suite-lifehacker-award-winners/

Note:   I myself use avast, but [as stated above] believe those who use MSE are making a good choice.   However, as a believer in layered protection, I do recommend that ANY stand-alone anti-virus be supplemented by the likes of MBAM PRO, WOT [set to block], and a HOSTS file.   I find OpenDNS's Family Shield and SpywareBlaster offer good additional protection, and believe that sandboxing is prudent. 

2.7K Posts

December 2nd, 2011 15:00

I do use MSE on several of my computers. This is  a good piece of news. I have in the past used AVAST but found that it is a more complicated program.

What is OpenDNS Family Shield? I use Open DNS-are they the same?  

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

December 2nd, 2011 16:00

OpenDNS comes in various "flavors".   There's the "basic" OpenDNS service, that offers reliable and fast DNS-resolution (i.e., translating web-URLs like "DELL.COM" into its numerical IP-address of 143.166.224.244 ).

The "basic" version allows users to optionally filter [i.e., BLOCK] various categories of subject-matter that they might find objectionable.   A large list of categories is available from which to select.  The user needs to make individual choices here, if  they want to do so.  

"Family Shield" is a specific version of OpenDNS that has been pre-configured to automatically block "adult sites".   Individual users could take advantage of this, as avoiding "adult sites" is one of the steps in "safe-surfing", to help avoid "dens of infection".   And parents can take advantage of it --- by installing it on their ROUTER --- to keep their children from accessing such sites.

"regular"/basic OpenDNS uses the addresses  208.67.222.222   and 208.67.220.220 for setting one's DNS-Servers.

Family Shield OpenDNS instead uses the addresses  208.67.222.123 and 208.67.220.123 ... by making these simple changes, you get all the benefits of basic openDNS AND its "Family Shield".

For more info, see my post here:  http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/virus-spyware/f/3522/p/19336926/19713924.aspx#19713924

[side-note to Mike:  I know you don't believe that any DNS should offer filtering.   That's your prerogative.   I'm NOT saying that anyone HAS TO use this.  Just telling Annie what's available --- answering her question --- should she be interested in pursuing it.]

20.5K Posts

December 2nd, 2011 17:00

Microsoft Security Essentials can't protect your computer when you only have it.
Why is that? Please state your reason with supporting documentation.

Thanks.

159 Posts

December 3rd, 2011 08:00

I myself can not trust it without having a antivirus and a anti spyware program. Can you trust it without any other tools?

8.8K Posts

December 3rd, 2011 09:00

I myself can not trust it without having a antivirus and a anti spyware program. Can you trust it without any other tools?

I'm not sure... like I asked you before, what is wrong with it that makes you not trust   it... and what other virus program would you suggest is better?
What spyware program are you suggesting be run in conjunction with an anti-virus program?
Please include supporting documentation to your remarks.  This is a very important issue...  I need facts supporting your statement that MSE can't be trusted.
No Events found!