Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

April 19th, 2020 14:00

Microsoft broke Win 10 Windows Defender

Windows Security Intelligence virus-definition update 1.313.1638.0 was supposed to improve Windows Defender but ended up breaking it instead.

With the new definitions installed, running a full system scan in Windows Defender will lead to the program crashing, along with countless error messages from the event viewer and Windows Security. Quick scans, strangely enough, aren’t affected at all.

The glitch is apparently caused by Windows Defender mishandling files it scans, particularly filenames that feature two periods in a row (like “myfile..now.jpg”). This includes system files with two periods that you might not have created as well.

Read more here and how to fix.

What is wrong with those s at Microsoft... ? 

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

April 22nd, 2020 20:00

@joe53  - In Windows 10 Task Scheduler, I see this listed under
Task Scheduler Library>Microsoft>Windows>Windows Defender>Windows Defender Scheduled Scan:

task.JPG

Have you tried disabling that task?

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

April 19th, 2020 17:00

Two lessons to be learned from this fiasco:

1) Never have routine scheduled full AV scans, particularly if nothing is broke. They just look for trouble, and soon enough find it. My default WD scan is the Quick scan, which in this debacle did not cause any problems.

2) The value of routine scheduled WD (or any other AV) scans of any type must be questioned when all is well. If your real time resident protection didn't detect anything, it is unlikely an on-demand scan will find anything but false positives.

I can confirm that my WD did a full scan tonight without problems, so it seems that the WD updates did the fix.

Question: Does anyone using WD for Win10 know how to disable a daily scheduled scan? I haven't found a way in the security programs, or in task scheduler.

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

April 24th, 2020 19:00

Thanks Ron, that did it. I had not drilled down far enough in the Library tree. Give yourself a "Solution".

One would think that the more logical approach for MS would be to allow one to set a WD scan schedule in the program itself ...  

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

April 25th, 2020 11:00

@joe53  said: One would think that the more logical approach for MS would be to allow one to set a WD scan schedule in the program itself ... 

Glad that helped, but they don't want peeps disabling WD too easily...

No Events found!