Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 20th, 2005 16:00

Norton AntiVirus

Hello, I have Norton Internet Security.  I my computer is about 4 months old.  When I recieved the computer, this program was already installed.  I thought that this was all I had to do.  A couple of days ago when I went to run a scan, it said that my "virus definition" was expired.  The program told me to run a live update, I did so and it did not fix my problem.  I then downloaded Norton AntiVirus 2005 thinking that this was the program I am missing and it would fix the problem I am having.  I am afraid that my computer is not being protected.  If anyone knows what I have to do in order to fix this problem please let me know.  Also if there is a better AntiVirus/SpyWear/ any other protection please let me know.
Thank You
-Julianna

806 Posts

June 20th, 2005 18:00

if you ran live updates, it should have prompted you to download the new definitions, which basically keep your system up to date on the latest and greatest viruses. if you did not succesfully dl the updates, it would prompt you again. bear in mind this will happen again periodically.

as to your other question, norton is pretty comprehensive as far as actual virus protection goes. some people prefer mcafee, but that is a personal preference. for spyware/adware, check out lavasoft's adaware personal se or microsoft's windows anti spyware (beta version).  these are both  free, downloadable programs available on the web. i actually have both of those programs on my machines, because sometimes one will find bots that the other one misses. \\

hope this helps.

1 Message

June 21st, 2005 23:00

help!  i too have a similar problem.   i purchased a dell computer in 10/04 and it included the norton security system with a 15 month subscription.  in april it kept telling me that my virus definitions were out of date and i needed to run the live update.  i attempted this several times but it would just say it could not be completed.  now the computer is sending various error messages.  also, i recently downloaded msn webroot spy sweeper and i am wondering if this i causing any problems.  any ideas? 

19 Posts

June 26th, 2005 14:00

This is a copy of another post I made. The software listed is far better than Norton and cheaper(plus free 30 day trial) I run Spybot and titanium resident all the time and have picked up nothing. Norton did allow some spyware to sneak in.

Remove malware:

Turn off system restore (otherwise malware will remain in restoration files)

do all virus scans suggested plus these:

Spybot S&D-www.safer-networking.org/en/download/

Ad-aware Se-www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

Titanium antivirus (30 day free trial) far better than Norton-www.pandasoftware.com (don't bother with platinum internet security -just extra baggage) *Includes firewall

Using all AV/malware scanners suggested is not overkill. every program listed picks up different things. after doing all scans run:

c***-cleaner -www.ccleaner.com/.

be very careful what you delete. This program may pick up hundreds of potential issues. You will be tempted to delete everything. DON'T DO IT. Take the time and check each entry before deleting. Alot of the stuu you may want to keep. C*** cleaner is optional, but it does get rid of a lot of c*** and can speed up system.

If you really want to do it right (obsessive compulsive disorder) run the AV programs twice- once in normal mode and once in safemode. normal mode picks up services and processes that don't run under safe mode. Safe mode allows you to delete things that normally can't be deleted because they are running under normal mode. Second scan may find things missed on first scan.

Run HiJackthis-www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/ (same deletion warning but more so some of what it lists are good, just look as if they might be bad)

when you are done, be sure to turn on system restore

Message Edited by hwm54112 on 06-26-2005 10:28 AM

Message Edited by hwm54112 on 06-26-2005 11:20 AM

8.8K Posts

June 26th, 2005 15:00

As mwm54112 pointed out to you the HJT program.

As far as the statement that most of what there is looks bad but is good, you better check that statement as I have seen many logs with more bad entries on it than good.

Please let one of the experts in the HJT forum look over the log before you make any changes and damage your OS.

This is a very touchy program and only experts should advise you on fixes.

Steve

Message Edited by zbestwun2001 on 06-26-2005 09:08 AM

No Events found!