Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 3rd, 2004 02:00

Norton Antivirus no longer scanning email?

Hope someone can help out. We have NAV 2002 (current subscription and updated almost daily) and haven't ever had any problems.  Starting a couple of weeks ago, we starting getting more junk mail than usual, and at least one in 10 or 12 would have some kind of virus. As the emails came in, NAV would scan them and we would have a small magnifying glass icon on our tool bar as it did this, and once they were ok'ed then the list of mail would populate our screen.

However, for the last few days, when we go to Outllook Express to get the mail, we don't see the magnifying icon, and the mail list comes up almost instantly. Some of them have attachments, and have the same or similar "from" line that the infected ones had.

I don't think NAV is scanning incoming mail anymore, although when I go to the options window of NAV it has the box checked that says it is scanning the mail.

Is there any way I can verify that it is working properly?

Thanks

1.7K Posts

June 4th, 2004 18:00

Hi,

If you have Zone Alarm and have upgrade it recently. Revert back to version 4 as a matter of urgency.

There is a problem with version 5 at present, links for the download are in this post

http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_other&message.id=194968

hth

Ceri

June 5th, 2004 01:00

Thanks  a million!! I recently upgraded Zone Alarm, but I never did and never would have made the connection between the two. I had no idea what was going on and it was really starting to scare me.

June 6th, 2004 01:00

Ceri,

I'm back!  Downloaded older version, uninstalled latest version, then installed older one. Still no luck with email getting scanned, either incoming or outgoing. Any suggestions as to where to go for more info or what else I could try?

Thanks

1.7K Posts

June 6th, 2004 07:00

Hi,

Try a re-install of NAV

Uninstall NAV using the programs' own removal tools.

Then run the RNAV.EXE utility from sysmantec

http://service4.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/df0a595864594c86852567ac0063608c/33497f6e8a319ece88256ace0076cc02?OpenDocument

Re-install NAV

When you register etc. the program will pick up the date of your subscription. I suspect that this is because the RNAV removal tool. althoughremoving NAV cleanly enough for a fresh install, will not remove the registry key, or whatever information Norton stores your subscription date in.

I had to remove and re-install NAV recently and still have my correct subscription date.

You could also consider an upgrade to NAV 2003. NAV 2004 has caused a few problems and is still beiing posted as having problems. I have NAV 2004 but still run 2003.

Ceri

June 6th, 2004 09:00

After posting here last night I went to ZA's user forums and found rather involved instructions for uninstalling ZA. It involves going in abd manually removing and renaming files. When I uninstalled ZA I just used the program's removal tools. Do you know of a clean uninstall for ZA? Do you think I should first remove ZA according to their directions and reinstall to see if that will solve my problem? 

As far as NAV goes, when this problem first started I went to their website to see what I could find out. The only thing I found was they no longer support (for free I guess) NAV 2002. We got this computer in October of 2002, renewed our subscription last fall. Kind of surprised to find out they have such a short-lived window for supporting their various versions of software.

1.7K Posts

June 6th, 2004 10:00

Hi,

I removed NAV 2003 by using the NAV uninstall in Add / Remove programs and then ran RNAV on Friday evening when something went wrong and the program died.  I thought something nasty had got through and trashed the program and possibly machine. but was fortunately wrong. I still don't know what happened, but NAV protection was disabled and could not re-enabled. Virus & spyware scans were and still are all clear.

It re-installed fine and once I ran the Live Update, now has exactly the same subscription date as previously, October last year. The subscription date is I've found normally corrected to the original date if you re-install the program.

The only way I believe you can restart or alter the subscription date is to re-install the program following a full FDSIK & Format re-installion of your operating system or clean upgrade to new operating system and all software following a backup.  This has to be a great deal more trouble than it is worth for the cost of  your NAV subscription, or even the  £10 to £15 that a new copy of NAV 2003 would cost, per amazon.co.uk

The updates to NAV 2003 or 2004 only bring a few additional features or such,  the main virus scanning part of the program is kept up to date with the Live Updates or subscriptions.

Have you run the Live update, does this then advise that your subscription is out of date.

You should be able to remove Zone Alarm in Add / Remove programs. That is all I did. There is also an uninstall in the Zone Alarm menu. Either of these should remove the program. You could of course have problems if any part of the program is corrupted or missing as the uninstall may fail.

I know Zone Labs have a manual removal description and that it is longwinded to say the least.

If this fails, try just installing the older version on top, but accept or say yes to the question(s) about already having ZA on the computer.

What happens if you try and uninstall the program, what error messages do you get.

Ceri

Message Edited by ceri sheeran on 06-06-2004 02:57 PM

June 6th, 2004 11:00

Ceri,

I had no problem uninstalling ZA using the option from the ZA menu, just wondering if that alone didn't fully uninstall it. My subscription for NAV is still up to date, I just can't get any tech support for our version anymore according to their website.

However now that I think about it I haven't found any new updates for NAV for the past few days. In the past the updates were usually released once a week (around Wednesday if I remember correctly) but as of late I've been finding them on almost a daily basis. (I lost the feature a while back that notifies me of new updates automatically. Don't know what happened to it, but the only answer I found to fix it was to edit the registry, so I usually just check LiveUpdate daily and download when available.) have you had any updates lately? Could this whole ZA issue be keeping me from receiving them even if I go to get them myself?

1.7K Posts

June 6th, 2004 12:00

Hi,

You can always download the updates from this site, simply run the downloaded exe file to update NAV

http://www.sarc.com/avcenter/download/pages/US-N95.html

Ceri

No Events found!