Highlighted
ky331
Diamond

Opera browser starts running traffic through its own “VPN”

The Opera browser now offers a free, built-in, non-bandwidth-limited VPN-like proxy service for anyone that chooses to use it.

This means all web traffic THROUGH THE OPERA BROWSER [but NOT your other internet-connected programs] will be encrypted, tracking cookies will be blocked, and the user’s IP address will be hidden...

In addition, use of the VPN can allow web browsers to get around geolocation-locked contents, meaning Opera users may be more easily able to watch television or movies that normally aren’t allowed to stream in their location.

https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2016/09/28/opera-browser-starts-running-traffic-through-its-own-vpn...

Free Internet Security - WOT Web of Trust       Use OpenDNS       MalwareBytes Anti-Malware

Windows 7 Pro SP1 (64-bit), avast! v17 Free, MBAM3 Pro, Windows Firewall, OpenDNS Family Shield, SpywareBlaster, MVPS HOSTS file, MBAE Premium, MCShield, WinPatrol PLUS, SAS (on-demand scanner), Zemana AntiLogger Free, IE11 & Firefox (both using WOT [IE set to WARN, FF set to BLOCK]), uBlock Origin, CryptoPrevent.

[I believe computer-users who sandbox (Sandboxie) are acting prudently.]

0 Kudos
3 Replies
eddy1123
Copper

RE: Opera browser starts running traffic through its own “VPN”

Is the VPN built in the browser, or Opera has a vpn service that we must download? 

0 Kudos
ky331
Diamond

I have not personally downloaded/tested it, so I can't speak definitively.   But my UNDERSTANDING is that it is built-in to the browser (NOT a separate download).   The only question in my mind is whether the VPN is automatically enabled (i.e., by default), or whether there's some opt-in option in the browser which has to be activated.

Free Internet Security - WOT Web of Trust       Use OpenDNS       MalwareBytes Anti-Malware

Windows 7 Pro SP1 (64-bit), avast! v17 Free, MBAM3 Pro, Windows Firewall, OpenDNS Family Shield, SpywareBlaster, MVPS HOSTS file, MBAE Premium, MCShield, WinPatrol PLUS, SAS (on-demand scanner), Zemana AntiLogger Free, IE11 & Firefox (both using WOT [IE set to WARN, FF set to BLOCK]), uBlock Origin, CryptoPrevent.

0 Kudos
ky331
Diamond

Using the free VPN in Opera

After downloading the browser, enabling VPN is easy. Go to “Settings” (or “Preferences” on Mac), choose “Privacy & Security” and then toggle the free VPN. An icon labeled “VPN” will appear in the browser, from which you can toggle VPN on and off, and choose a location.

0 Kudos