Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

June 25th, 2016 05:00

PaleMoon to discontinue the Atom/XP version

The following was copied/pasted from https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?t=12337&p=86995#p86995

We currently have a specialized Atom-optimized build to serve both Windows XP and Atom CPU machines specifically as a courtesy to people running those operating systems or hardware.

In preliminary performance testing, it became clear that (likely because of the complexity and size of our code base), Atom-optimized binaries don't perform significantly better than regular builds of our next milestone (v27.0) and as such we won't be continuing this specialized build from the next milestone release forward.
This will make things significantly less complex, both for us and for the user, and allows us to focus on a single path with no special exceptions or workarounds for problems, ultimately leading to a better browser, because we no longer have to maintain multiple branches as we do now.

==========================================================

Remark:   PaleMoon now joins IE(8) and Google Chrome in finally dropping support for XP.   That leaves only Firefox.   It will be interesting to see how long FF will continue to support XP.

[Opera 37 still offers security and stability updates for XP/Vista,  but not feature updates.]

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

August 23rd, 2016 11:00

Just came across another browser that still supports XP... the SafeZone browser, which is included (free) in Avast anti-virus.   SafeZone is Chromium based.

SafeZone includes "Bank Mode (formerly known as Pay Mode):    a virtual desktop which acts as a safe and clean computer within your real computer. Bank Mode isolates your browsing session and protects it from keyloggers and other potential malware or spyware. In Bank Mode you can be sure that your financial transactions are safe and your activities are not being tracked."

That alone sounds like a real winner!   I'm only hoping that all these (alleged) security features are fully implemented in the XP version.

I just tried it today... although I could have been using it for months now.   We'll see how it goes.   It feels pretty "crisp" in its response... which could be because I haven't added any extensions... in fact, I'm not even sure if allows them (aside from the pre-installed avast security extensions)  --- " There is no need to install additional privacy extensions and features. For maximum security, 3rd party extensions are blocked."

I believe I've encountered one minor issue so far...  SafeZone is supposed to recognize banking-like sites, to automatically switch into banking mode.   It offered to do so on the first two banking/credit sites I accessed, but has not done so thereafter :emotion-6:   I'm wondering if I accidentally hit on some "do not ask me again" button, or if there's a bug in the program.   I consider this issue "minor" in that, while it's not AUTOMATICALLY offering/using Bank Mode, I can nevertheless MANUALLY enter Bank Mode whenever I wish.

EDIT:   It appears that avast is still using a rather small list of known banking sites for automatic activation of Bank Mode.   I stumbled on two more... so I guess I didn't do anything to accidentally deactivate it.   I think what they need to do is add a setting for user-preferred automatic activations.

2 Intern

• 

2.2K Posts

August 23rd, 2016 16:00

Got a question David...

Is Adblock Plus supposed to work in Palemoon

If so, not sure how to activate it.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

August 23rd, 2016 17:00

No, AdBlock Plus does not work in PaleMoon.   Rather, there is a "specialized"/"forked" variation that's made for PaleMoon, called AdBlock Latitude https://addons.palemoon.org/extensions/privacy-and-security/adblock-latitude/ 

I used Latitude for a while... until I discovered uBlock Origin , which seems to be far superior.   Go to Tools / Add-ons , and in the search box, type uBlock Origin [hit ENTER], and click to install it.    Emphasize that uBlock ORIGIN is different from uBlock.!

After it's installed, go to Tools / Add-ons / Extensions , locate uBlock Origin, hit Options, Show Dashboard, 3rd-party filters, and be sure there's a check in the box for "Auto-Update Filters List".   You can optionally hit UPDATE NOW (if it's highlighted in orange).   You can leave all other settings as they are.

2 Intern

• 

2.2K Posts

August 23rd, 2016 19:00

Thnaks for the info, I'll give it a try!

No Events found!