Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 30th, 2004 22:00

Problem with McAfee

The past few days my firewall has been showing disabled when I turn my computer on.  Sometimes it works if I click the "enable" link and sometimes it does not. I just received the newest version of this software a week ago. I am on Windows XP Home Edition. The same day I also installed Webroot Spy Sweeper.

26 Posts

December 31st, 2004 00:00

unfortunately i dont knwo how to make that kindof log

4.8K Posts

December 31st, 2004 00:00

christin,

Let's start out by seeing what's running on your system. Follow the instructions for posting a HiJackThis log, pinned at the top of this forum. If your still not sure how to do it, just post back and i'll see if I can help you with it.

Mike.

41 Posts

December 31st, 2004 01:00

just do what midnight says. He is very smart

26 Posts

Message Edited by christin814 on 12-30-2004 10:21 PM

26 Posts

so no one knows?

26 Posts

i dont think i should be installing more stuff

4.8K Posts

Christin

I thought you didn't want to try posting a log. If your interested, here's how you do it...:

Download, unzip and run HiJackThis. Click "Scan", then "Save log" (it's the same button). When Notepad pops up, right-click on the text and select "Select all", then right-click again and select "Copy", next reply back to this message, then right-click in the message body and select "Paste"; post the message. Close both Notepad and HijackThis. Don't fix anything with it just yet, as most of what it reports is good.

We'll use that to see what's running on that system that might be causing the problem.

Mike.

4.8K Posts

December 31st, 2004 02:00

Christin,

Let me show you some of the things that McAfee missed that are bad (some trojans, viruses and other nasties):

-

C:\Program Files\Windows ControlAd\WinCtlAdAlt.exe
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar =
http://red.clientapps.yahoo.com/customize/ie/defaults/sb/ymsgr6/*http://www.yahoo.com/ext/search/search.html
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://red.clientapps.yahoo.com/customize/ie/defaults/su/ymsgr6/*http://www.yahoo.com
O2 - BHO: myBar BHO - {0494D0D1-F8E0-41ad-92A3-14154ECE70AC} - C:\Program Files\MyWay\myBar\1.bin\MYBAR.DLL
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {549B5CA7-4A86-11D7-A4DF-000874180BB3} - (no file)
O3 - Toolbar: &SearchBar - {0494D0D9-F8E0-41ad-92A3-14154ECE70AC} - C:\Program Files\MyWay\myBar\1.bin\MYBAR.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: PowerSearch - {4E7BD74F-2B8D-469E-A08E-8E1CA787AD2D} - C:\PROGRA~1\POWERS~1\Toolbar\pwrs0102.dll (file missing)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [jul] C:\WINDOWS\jul.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows ControlAd] C:\Program Files\Windows ControlAd\WinCtlAd.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [w32time] C:\WINDOWS\System32\w32time.exe <== possible
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [purgedrm] C:\WINDOWS\System32\purgedrm.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [winpack] C:\WINDOWS\System32\winpack.exe
O23 - Service: ZESOFT - Unknown - C:\WINDOWS\zeta.exe (file missing)

-

Don't fix anything just yet, let's see if we can get some help from some excellent programs; these are completely free to use for as long as you like.

First, let's go to www.trendmicro.com and click "Free Online Scan". It'll take a few minutes to download and install. When it's down, select all available drives and click "Scan". This will pick up things that McAfee misses.

Next, download, install and run AdAware SE Personal. Next, click "Start", then check(tick) "perform a full system scan". then click "Next". When it's done, check(tick) everything it finds, then click "Next".

Next, download, install and run Spybot S&D. Next, click "Check for Updates". If any are available, check(tick) all of them off, then click "Download Updates". When it's done, click "Search & Destroy", then "Check for Problems". Check(tick); allow it to fix everything it finds.

Go to Add/Remove programs and let me know if something like:

• Windows Ad Control
  • MyWay

is listed anywhere. It could be in just part of the entry, like "MyWay Search", or "MyWay Speedbar".

When you done, post back a new log and we'll see what we have left. If you need me to walk you through any of these, just let me know. These programs are 'safe', otherwise I wouldn't have recommended them.

Mike.

26 Posts

not gonna add anything else sorry. the hijack this made my computer lag big time so i got rid of it

i do have that my bar thing you talkedabout in add.remove programs

4.8K Posts

Christin,

Ok. Then i'm sorry, there's nothing I can do to help you at this point. I've shown you the problems on your system - we couldv'e them the hard way, with HiJackThis. Try searching GOOGLE on the items highlighted in red for more information.

Good luck with your system,

Mike.

28K Posts

December 31st, 2004 03:00

Christin,

You came here for help.  If you are not willing to take the steps necessary to fix the problem, then your only option is to reformat your hard drive and reinstall Windows.  HijackThis does absolutely nothing to slow down your computer.  It does not run in the background, and only runs when you tell it to run.  It collects information and will only change things if you tell it to.  Mike is an expert on how to deal with this very complicated mess that spyware has imposed on you and will not tell you to remove anything that will make the problem worse.  Good luck with your format and reinstall.  I hope you have all of your important data backed up.

Steve

26 Posts

December 31st, 2004 04:00

yea i knwo i came for help. but i thought the problem with mcafee was simple like people new about it. and the hjackthis file did lag cuz once i got rid of it the lagging stopped. maybe it was a wierd occastion

26 Posts

December 31st, 2004 15:00

wow turn on the computer and go shopping and see what i found when i got home?

house call doesnt clean them for you like mcafee does. very strange. i didnt do those spyware/adware search program you said cuz the one i have is very good. that search and destroy made the computer lag big time and caused major pop ups. webroot spy sweeper is very good. it even solved a problem i had with a spyware that hijacked my internet explorer :) so i havent had any problems with it. (other than lagging when it was searching) thats normal i think.

Message Edited by christin814 on 01-02-2005 04:22 PM

4.8K Posts

December 31st, 2004 16:00

Christin,

Apology accepted. However, i'm done working with you.

Have a good afternoon,

Mike.

4.8K Posts

December 31st, 2004 16:00

Steve,

Don't spend anymore time with her - others have already left this thread. I've gone above and beyond normal means to help her resolve her issue.

Mike.

No Events found!