Start a Conversation

Unsolved

8 Posts

February 4th, 2021 06:00

Regarding antivirus

Can I download avast antivirus in dell laptop. My McAfee antivirus is expired.

10 Elder

• 

23.2K Posts

February 4th, 2021 10:00

Just make sure you remove McAfee and reboot the system before installing any other antivirus software.  And bear in mind there aren't many advantages to a third-party antivirus these days - Windows built-in Defender works just fine, and is generally far less resource-intensive than anything third-party.

8 Posts

February 4th, 2021 18:00

Should I uninstall McAfee after it expires?

10 Elder

• 

23.2K Posts

February 5th, 2021 05:00

Unless you're planning to update the subscription, yes -- antivirus programs are essentially useless without the latest update.  Windows Defender does a fine job of protecting the system and will take over once McAfee is uninstalled.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

February 5th, 2021 06:00

you should not install multiple antivirus

• Always download a new copy of MCPR before each use.  
    This ensures that you have the latest version, and that newer McAfee products can be successfully recognized.
  • MCPR cleans up only the components needed for reinstallation. It is not designed to clean up 100% of components.
  • Completing this step requires a restart.

Before you start:

• Bookmark or favorite this article so that you can easily get back to it.
  • Save all open files.
  • Close all programs.

1. Download the MCPR tool.
  2. Double-click MCPR.exe.
  3. If you see a security warning:
  4. At the McAfee Software Removal screen:
    1. Click Next
    2. Click Agree to accept the End User License Agreement (EULA).

5. At the Security Validation screen:
    1. Type the characters exactly as shown on your screen. Validation is case-sensitive.
    2. Click Next. This step prevents the accidental use of MCPR.
  6. Double-clickMCPR

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

February 5th, 2021 21:00

I agree that the embedded (free) Windows Defender security for Windows 10 is as good as any paid Antivirus. I would include  the free Avast AV equally as a top ranking security solution, albeit a bit more complex to configure and use.

The latest results of the "Real world protection test" for the last half of 2020 conducted by the respected independent test site AV-Comparatives confirmed this:
https://www.av-comparatives.org/tests/real-world-protection-test-july-october-2020/

You will note that McAfee did not rank in the top tier of awards, unlike the free solutions including Windows Defender, Avast and AVG.

It is unfortunate that Dell in recent years has always included McAfee security on its computers, with no option to opt out. No doubt this was a business decision that probably lowered their prices, and thus benefitted the consumer.

But in my considerable experience, McAfee security products have never been a top rated product in many years. I have always been a Dell user for 2 decades, but have always uninstalled McAfee programs ASAP from my new computers in the past decade using the latest MCPR tool linked above, without ever activating McAfee.

For 2-3 years, all my Win 10 PCs have used Windows Defender, and have never been compromised.

No Events found!