Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 17th, 2009 04:00

Renewed McAfee - now Windows Defender popup keeps popping up

I can't disable this popup.  Apparently when i renewed mcafee it disabled windows defender.  HELP!

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 17th, 2009 07:00

Hi Sapodilla59 and welcome to DCF,

"The 2009 McAfee consumer products for Windows Vista disable Microsoft Windows Defender to improve system performance. Windows Vista users who have installed the 2009 McAfee consumer products should not enable Windows Defender."

Please read this article HERE from McAfee.

:emotion-1:

3 Posts

April 17th, 2009 14:00

do you have Vista?  try this.

I have Vista 32 and this worked for me, everyone told me to either uninstall which isn't an option with Vista or to disable it.  I didn't want to disable, I wanted to use it.  Try this.  After doing this, I rechecked mine to make it active again and all is well.

Originally Posted by Bijoy

I've also seen this issue these days..

I've a solution for this..But I am not sure whetehr this is a permanent one..

Open the 'services' window (Start >> Run >> services.msc)

Navigate to Windows defender and double click it then start the service..

Make sure that the 'start up typel is set to 'automatic'..

This can resolve the issue..

Just try it and let me know whether it's working

387 Posts

April 18th, 2009 02:00

Please read this article HERE from McAfee.

Thanks for posting that Red Dawn. :emotion-21: I wish I had seen it about a week or two ago because I had that error message come up on one of my systems that has McAfee SecurityCenter installed. I finally got it to stop displaying the message by disabling Defender using MSCONFIG, restarting, reenabling Defender and then restarting again. This ended up keeping the Defender service from starting. The strange thing is that on this system both SecurityCenter and Defender are coexisting peacefully with no error message appearing. Both systems have the same SecurityCenter versions and both are updated so it seems that this one should show the error message but doesn't. I did know that SecurityCenter was disabling Defender but didn't realize that it would pop up that error message until it finally did. I've yet to figure out why both are active on this system w/o problem though.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 18th, 2009 09:00

Hey, Wk,

I disabled Defender a while back as I noticed that (on my system) even with Advanced Membership to Spynet, it was giving little or no alerts to system changes. I assumed it may have been fighting with McAfee's SystemGuards (light HIPS) for the same job. Unfortunately McAfee don't go into detail in their FAQ on the "performance" issues caused by running the two simultaneously so I can only guess this is what was happening.

There are workarounds to run the two together, one such mentioned by trudog above, and many may have applied them without any noticeable ill effects, but going with my own experience coupled with McAfee's official word on the subject, I'm leaving Defender disabled. Besides I've since added two new bodyguards to keep me safe, Sandboxie and SAS Pro  :emotion-5: :emotion-2:.

From what I see McAfee is not the only security software vendor that will disable Defender, most on installation of their own software and I would like to think that, for the same reason they also disable Windows Firewall, there is a valid motive.

All the best :emotion-2:,

No Events found!