Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

1 Rookie

• 

2.2K Posts

September 22nd, 2006 22:00

Spyware Doctor vs Spy Sweeper

Was browsing PC Magazine at the library today and an article said these two  products work much better than Spybot and Ad-Aware, and that Defender is way down the list. It appears that there are problems with Spy Sweeper 5, and that their customer support is nil, according to user reviews on the mag's site. I don't mind paying what seems like modest amount for a product that seems to do more than the free ones.

I would welcome comments from the old pros and long time users here what their experiencs are with these 2 products.

134 Posts

September 23rd, 2006 01:00

Hi dalem29,

I'm running version 5 of SpySweeper.

(If you are in the US, you can watch Sunday papers and maybe pickup a rebate special, COMPUSA, OfficeDepot, or the like. There are two rebates in the specials, one is an upgrade and requires proof of purchase of a competing product. It looks like most Symantec or McAfee stuff will work for that.)

The package I bought was an older version that installed and then upgraded online to the current version 5 level without a problem. I think maybe I got by the earlier version 5 problem releases. It's noisy - ie talks a lot, seems to update fairly frequently, scans daily. Usually what it finds for me is cookies. I'm not out on the "frontier" exploring wise so I don't know if I'm a good tester of its full capabilities. I am pleased to have it. ( I don't think I would recommend the window washer I've seen bundled with it sometimes though.)  I have not had any need to deal with customer support so I can't comment about that.

bluecoal

4.4K Posts

September 23rd, 2006 09:00

I am a long time user of Spy Sweeper and can report excellent results.  See this article in PC World Magazine for spyware reviews:

2.1K Posts

September 25th, 2006 23:00

europa303 wrote:
I am a long time user of Spy Sweeper and can report excellent results.  See this article in PC World Magazine for spyware reviews:

I agree with europa303 (and the PC World review) - I wouldn't be without it now. In fact, I'm running both Spy Sweeper and Webroot's Window Washer, plus just purchased and installed both on my wife's D8300.

Message Edited by VCraig on 09-25-2006 08:26 PM

508 Posts

September 26th, 2006 00:00

Spysweeper has never found a single spyware on my pc with the trial. I'd rather use spyware doctor. It's more in depth and not much of a resource hog as spy sweeper.

September 26th, 2006 00:00

Hello,  I have  had  and run Spy Sweeper  for  a few years now, it is a really good  program that has picked up  a reasonable  amount  of  spyware  and I  will continue to run  it  regularly  which is the  true key to  keeping your computer
clean  aside  from  a  good  Antivirus product and also Firewall,  but,  since  I  recently  acquired "Spyware Doctor", I
 can't  say  enough  about  this  software,  its  picked out  so much  "Malware"  which is  different  from Spyware,
 but  both  annoying  and  very  risky  to  have  running  in your  computer;   I  sincerely  recommend  that  you  keep and
 run  both  these  programs  either  one  after  another  or  different  times,  but  do  use  both  for  a safer  and  cleaner
computer.   
 I  also  have  a  trial  spyware/malware  program  "Ewido", sure  you've heard of it,  also  a really  good  product, I  run
 this  one  regularly  too,  and  it  picks  up  more  bad  spyware  stuff  the  others  don't,  so  really  get  this  one, and 
 use  it  also.  You  can  never  be  too careful  with  all  the  risky  junk  out  there, might  as well  obtain  and  run
  several  good  programs.     Hope  this  helps,  my  personal, tried  and  used  selections,  Bye

2.4K Posts

October 1st, 2006 05:00

I run Spyware Doctor and have been pleased with its results. I bought it after reading a review that it was the best in 2006. Webroot was the best in 2005. However I think you cant go wrong with either one.

Inspiron E1505
Intel Core 2 Duo processor T7200 (4MB/2.00GHz/667MHz)
15.4 Inch UltraSharp TrueLife Wide-screen WSXGA+
1GB, DDR2, 533MHz 2 Dimm
256MB ATI MOBILITY RADEON X1400
120GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
8X DVD+/-RW Drive
Intel PRO/Wireless 3945 802.11a/g Mini Card (54Mbps)
Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth Module (2.0 + EDR)
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
Bios A08
pur. Sept. 7 2006
No Events found!