Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 5th, 2006 11:00

Trojan.Abwiz.F

I am using Dell OEM Norton Internet Security 2005.
Yesterday when I booted the computer, after normal Desktop appeared, a Norton AntiVirus screen appeared indicating a "High Risk Virus Alert" and "Norton AntiVirus has detected and removed a virus from your computer"
Object Name: C:\WINDOWS\system32\taskdir.dll
Virus Name:   Trojan.Abwiz.F
Action Taken The file was automatically deleted.

I viewed the Quarantine information of the backed up file and deleted it.

Now each time I boot the computer I get the same Virus Alert. I have done a complete Norton Virus Scan several times and nothing is found. I have done the complete Symantec On Line Virus Scan and nothing is found. The computer is acting normally and there seems to be no evidence of any virus infection. I have looked at the Registry, without making any changes, and it does not seem to contain any entries that Symantic specifies should be removed. Norton Anti Virus seems to be configured normally.

Is this a glitch in Norton AntiVirus? Is it still possible to have an actual virus? How can I resolve this issue? Thank you. 

June 5th, 2006 12:00

hello, w2ltu. i don't think there is smth wrong with norton. i suggest you to scan you pc using some other software as Spy Sweeper and try to remove trojan. imho what you have is not a virus.

10.4K Posts

June 5th, 2006 14:00

w2ltu

Go here and download Hijackthis

http://dsvs.org/5/HijackThis.exe

Save it in a convenient permanent folder such as C:\\HJT\\, double click HijackThis.exe, and hit "Scan". When the scan is finished, the "Scan" button will change into a "Save Log" button. Press that, save the log, Ctrl-A to Select All, and copy its contents AT THE LINK BELOW

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board?board.id=si_hijack

and include a description of the problem along with your log

Please do not be tempted to "fix" on your own. Hijackthis is a very powerful tool, if used incorrectly can cause system problems

bamajim

Training at Malware Removal University

8 Posts

June 5th, 2006 15:00

I have tried Spy Sweeper and no Trojan.Abwiz.F or any other found.....just cookies reported.

This is a hard one to solve. I just can't keep trying different spyware removal software. Thanks.

10.4K Posts

June 5th, 2006 15:00

w2ltu

Hijackthis is not another removal tool. It is a diagnostic tool. Once a log is posted, you will be given specific instructions on how to resolve your infection.

bamajim

Training at Malware Removal University

8 Posts

June 5th, 2006 18:00

Bamajim I have posted to HiJackThis Forum as you suggested and waiting for reply. The HijackThis Scan Log did not seem to show anything serious going on with the registry. Hope this will pay off. Thanks.

8 Posts

June 5th, 2006 19:00

FYI 06/05/06  4:30 PM

I solved the problem by running the Symantec Trojan.Abwiz Removal Tool! I should have tried it sooner but it is a complicated process and frankly I was afraid I would screw something up. Also
none of the Virus Scans or any other Scan showed anything wrong. Thanks for trying.
No Events found!