Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 16th, 2009 09:00

Vista/Windows Defender/Mcafee

I bought a laptop just over a year ago with a subscription to McAfee already installed.  The OP is Vista Home Edition.  I find that McAfee and 'Windows Defender'  are often scanning at the same time.  Is this necessary, and if not, why did Dell install 2 Virus applications?

Also, it takes McAfee 5 DAYS to complete a scan, whether or not Defender is scanning at the same time.  This causes problems if Windows Update decides to restart the computer before McAfee has completed the scan.  Why is McAfee taking so long when the laptop is not my main PC and I don't have many files on there?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 16th, 2009 09:00

Hi, Larna:

Windows Defender is part of the operating system. Dell did not install it. As for McAfee, I think you've stumbled onto the reason most people use something else. You'll notice this review, where they state, "McAfee is one of the slowest scanning programs we tested, taking almost 84 minutes to scan our test computer's 70 GB of used hard-drive space. McAfee took about double as long to scan our test computer than the top 2 antivirus programs..."

Take care!

51 Posts

December 16th, 2009 10:00

Thanks for that.  I wish it only took 84 minutes to scan my laptop, instead of 5 days.

My renewal for McAfee is due in March, and after reading your link, I am sure that I will go for the Norton Internet 2010 instead.

20.5K Posts

December 16th, 2009 12:00

Are you using a 2009 McAfee product?

"The 2009 McAfee consumer products for Windows Vista disable Microsoft Windows Defender to improve system performance. Windows Vista users who have installed the 2009 McAfee consumer products should not enable Windows Defender."
http://service.mcafee.com/faqdocument.aspx?id=TS100610&lang=en_US&prior_tid=2&AnswerID=16777216&turl==http%3A%2F%2Fkb.mcafee.com%2Finfocenter%2Findex%3Fpage%3Dcontent%26id%3DTS100610%26actp%3Dsearch

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't bother with Norton either.

Please see these pages for

FREE SECURITY SOFTWARE  

FREE SECURITY SOFTWARE

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

December 16th, 2009 13:00

I hate to slag legitimate security products, but I can't help noticing recurring complaints about McAfee and Norton in this board.

No doubt many use them without problems, but I have to agree I wouldn't want either of them on my PC.

Just my 2 pesos.

Free Security Software-A Primer

1 Rookie

• 

2.2K Posts

December 17th, 2009 05:00

I just have to second the motion for the wisdom of using the free stand alone security products in the lists and article mentioned above. I haven't used a paid product for several years and seem to do just fine on both my main computer and backup.

51 Posts

December 18th, 2009 03:00

My McAfee product was originally installed on my desktop in December 2005 when I bought it, and is just called 'McAfee Security Centre'.  I renew it every year, and it also now runs on my Laptop which I purchased in September 2008.  It was last renewed in February 2009 and it has virus scan, personal firewall, and antispam.

Strange thing is that it takes only about 2 hours to scan my desktop (My Documents are 30gb), and that is not a problem for me, but it takes about 5 days to scan my laptop (My Documents are 10gb)! 

Both PC's have the same sized harddrive - 160gb.

If the free antivirus does the same job I would be very interested as these things all add up when living on a pension.

I did wonder if it has something to do with the OP on the laptop (Vista), as all is OK on the desktop which has XP.

4.6K Posts

December 18th, 2009 07:00

I personally use Eset's 'Smart Security 4', and usually just run a 'Smart Scan' (/quick scan) on my C:\ partition, to check for potential problems?

A quick scan doesn't take too long at all (a few seconds over 12mins on my 60GB C:\ partition), but it's never uncovered any suspect files.

That's undoubtedly because the program does such a good job of keeping an eye on any files I download in the first place.

It's unobtrusive, uses hardly any system resources, and updates the virus definitions 3 - 4 times a day, without fail :emotion-11:

I've read many good reports about Kaspersky Internet Security recently though.

In fact one review of anti virus/internet security packages I read a couple of months ago, rated it above Eset - which in itself says a lot for it's capabilities!

Not only that... but it's cheaper than Eset Smart Security. 

For instance - I ordered a retail boxed 3-user/1 year version off Amazon for a friend (and his granddaughter) just last week, for only £26.xx (US$42.xx) :emotion-3:

An OEM 1-user/1 year version is available for less than half that.

In either case - it's a small price to pay (IMHO), for one of the best internet security packages available these days :emotion-21:

51 Posts

December 18th, 2009 10:00

Thanks for the info.

Regarding the slow (extremely) virus scanning on my laptop, I have just had the same problems when trying to 'rip' a music CD.

I have not tried to rip music before, and I inserted my CD and used the 'rip' function on WMP.  It has been running for 4 hours and has only ripped 5 tracks!  There is something not right with this laptop and I just do not know what it is.

I have ejected the CD from the laptop and inserted in my desktop.  It took SECONDS to rip the remaining 12 tracks!! (again using WMP)

4.6K Posts

December 18th, 2009 12:00

Have you scanned your system for spyware recently?  Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is the program recommended by the aficionados in this forums section.

But I'd also recommend running another free program called CCleaner.

It'll scan your system for any invalid/junk files, and get rid of them for you (after you tick the appropriate boxes, by choosing 'Select All' when asked).

Hopefully between them, those two will cure the problem?

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

December 19th, 2009 08:00

Larna,

another possibility is that your IDE channels were changed from DMA (Direct Memory Access --- which is FAST) to PIO (Primary Input/Output --- which is SLOW).

check by RIGHT-clicking on MY COMPUTER, select PROPERTIES, the HARDWARE tab, and then DEVICE MANAGER.

click on the + to expand IDA ATA/ATAPI Controllers.

RIGHT-click on the PRIMARY IDE Channel, select PROPERTIES, then ADVANCED SETTINGS.

The TRANSFER MODE should say DMA if available, and the

CURRENT TRANSFER mode should indicate something like ULTRA DMA Mode 5.   If this shows PIO, you have a problem.

Likewise for the SECONDARY IDE Channel, which should have a CURRENT TRANSFER mode like ULTRA DMA Mode 2.

if either shows PIO, you can  RIGHT-click on, and UNINSTALL either or both of these two controllers --- you'll then have to reboot, at which point Windows should automatically find the controllers and try to reset them to DMA mode (unless there's another problem with your system).

Unfortunately, I am away on vacation, and may not be in a position to offer you additional help here.... so hopefully someone else will step in.

NOTE:   If the CURRENT Transfer mode shows DMA, then just leave things alone.

51 Posts

December 19th, 2009 09:00

Hi, I know ky331 is now away on hol, but for anyone interested (inc the author when she returns), I have followed everything suggested, but I only have one channel listed under  'IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, which is named 'ATA Channel 0'.  I don't seem to have 'Primary' & 'Secondary' channels as mentioned by ky331.  The 'ATA Channel 0' shows 'Ultra DMA Mode 2' and the box 'Enable DMA' is checked.

I have also run ccleaner & antispy.  There are no changes to the speed of running a virus check.

My laptop and desktop are connected to a router to access the internet.  The desktop is connected to the single ethernet port, and the laptop is connected to the router by a USB lead.  I had wondered whether this could have any effect on slowing my laptop down so much but my ISP has advised me that I am correct in connecting the second PC via a USB cable.

51 Posts

December 29th, 2009 07:00

Hello all, and hope you all had a good Christmas. 

Here I am again, and I have discovered CHKDSK, so started to run it a couple of days ago to see if it could find the problem to my laptop running so very slowly. 

It carried out the first 4 stages quite quickly but for the last 36 hours or so it has been stuck on stage 5, at 84 per cent completed of the 'free clusters processed.'  The numbers have not changed at all, and I am reluctant to switch off the laptop, but I am going away for a few days.  (I don't need my laptop until I return).

Is this now taking too long, or should I leave it to run?  Obviously it could just be another example of how long this laptop takes to do anything. 

1K Posts

December 29th, 2009 15:00

Hi Larna.

Sector 5 is free space and usually takes longer than the other sectors, but not that long. You may have a defect cluster or something not right in a sector. You can depress the on/off button for 5-10 secs to shut it down. If you are running Chkdsk with the blue screen, CHKDSK may restart again when you boot the laptop again, you may try a second time to see if it finishes or press any key in the following 15 sec to stop CHKDISK.

Larna also as a second thought you may want to run a HDD diagnostic, just to be sure the disk is OK and not starting to go away.

HOPE IT HELPS. 

51 Posts

December 30th, 2009 03:00

Thank you so much for the info.  What is 'HDD diagnostic'?  (The laptop is just over one year old and not my main PC so I hope that the disc is OK.)

1K Posts

December 30th, 2009 06:00

Hi Larna.

Hard Disk Drive (HDD) diagnostic is found by depressing F12 at booting when DeLL logo appears. You will find "Hard Disk Diagnostic" or "Boot to Utility Partition" where you can choose to do a Express Test or a Custom Test, that is in my desktop running XP. Since your's is a laptop and Vista, you can also read this. Now IMOH even though Vista is a slow OS, your laptop, CPU 2.0 Ghz and 2GB RAM with 160GB HDD, is more than adequate to run Vista. If you followed ky331's and TheRealFireblade's instructions and you are not infected or your sys is not in PIO mode, there should be no reason for it to be so slow, unless something is not working right. To do a DeLL PC Restore to Factory Settings would not solve anything since you said that your laptop was always slow and the restore would be the same as when you took the PC out of the box. So a diagnostic to discard anything wrong with your hardware, should be the next step. If everything comes out alright, well the OS should be reinstalled clean, IMHO.

Hope it helps.

PS: Any code that the diagnostic gives you should be posted in the Laptop hardware Forum here.      

No Events found!