Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

June 24th, 2015 16:00

Yahoo Tries to Hook Search Users Via Java Updates

Yahoo announced a partnership with Oracle aimed at getting more users to try Yahoo search. Starting this month, users who install or update Oracle’s Java software will be prompted to make Yahoo their browser’s default search engine and home page.

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2015/06/24/yahoo-tries-to-hook-search-users-via-java-updates/

5.8K Posts

June 25th, 2015 08:00

Ben Edelman's comments in that article are noteworthy:

“It’s still a despicable tactic,” Edelman said. “If we make security updates into marketing opportunities, consumers will rightly and reasonably ignore or defer updates and then we’ll all be faced with less secure computers.”

Yet another reason to dump Oracle's Java.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

June 25th, 2015 15:00

https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2015/06/25/java-updater-to-stop-pushing-ask-toolbar-will-foist-yahoo-search-on-you-instead/

Oracle's Java, infamous in the past for bundling the Ask Toolbar as part of its install and update processes, is ditching Ask in favour of Yahoo's search engine.

5.8K Posts

June 25th, 2015 19:00

Like many, I use Google.com as my search engine (NOT the Google toolbar). It's not my first choice, but is the only search engine listed in IE11. (Yahoo  would not make it onto my alternative search engine list under any circumstances).

I've yet to figure out how to add other search engines to IE 11. Under Tools>Manage Add-ons>Search Providers only Google is listed.  When I click on "Find more search providers ..." I am taken to a legallery.com website which does not offer the search engines I seek. (Bing and MSN are offered, but are also definitely not on my list). Previous versions of IE allowed me alternatives such as DuckDuckgo, Wikipedia or IMDB search engines.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

June 26th, 2015 06:00

Joe,

Not sure HOW I did it... presumably they were carried over from IE10's configuration... but my IE11 is showing 5 search engines that I've "included":  Yahoo, Google, Wikipedia, DuckDuckGo, and WolframAlpha.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

June 26th, 2015 09:00

Joe,

From the IEGallery page... if you don't already see "Wikipedia Visual Search" listed there... you can use the search box toward the upper right to search for "Wikipedia"... then follow the steps to add-on the  Visual Search (to be distinguished from the "define with Accelerator").

5.8K Posts

June 26th, 2015 16:00

Thanks ky.

Using your info, I got the Wikipedia search engine to install. Yesterday, for some reason, I could not install DuckDuckGo from their website (getting some error). Today I could - go figure. Made it my default search.

I can't say DuckDuckGo is a better or safer search engine than Google. But it certainly works as well, and I trust it more.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

June 26th, 2015 17:00

And using YOUR information, I was able to add DuckDuckGo to IE11 on my Win8.1 tablet.   Good teamwork!

5.8K Posts

June 26th, 2015 20:00

And using YOUR information, I was able to add DuckDuckGo to IE11 on my Win8.1 tablet.   Good teamwork!

Years of collaboration, my friend!

No Events found!