Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 27th, 2009 09:00

amsdata.dat --- result of Avast SCAN

Avast virus scan results shows:   

"amsdata.dat "      "UNABLE TO SCAN:    ARCHIVE IS PASSWORD PROTECTED"

There is nothing else that comes up in the results log,   just this one item.

This same result has shown   for the last several scans I've done,   over several weeks time,    and I need direction and advice on what to do now.

Thank you in advance.       Dell Dimension  Desktop 8200,   XP HOME,   80 GB,   Avast 4.8 Home Edition

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

July 27th, 2009 10:00

Avast!'s  use of  "UNABLE TO SCAN:    ARCHIVE IS PASSWORD PROTECTED"   does NOT (necessarily) mean you have a security problem... 

rather, it's simply advising you that the file in question has been protected with a password.... that avast doesn't know the password... and as such, avast is unable to analyze the file.

This often happens when programs like SuperAntiSpyware or SpyBot quarantine infections from your computer... they password-protect the quarantine, so the files can't "escape" and be used by other programs.

I am not familiar with the particular file you've noted, amsdata.dat   

a  .dat  file can cantain just about anything... it's critical to know which program is accessing/using that .dat (data) file.   If the program using the .dat file is legitimate (which one might assume it is, since avast didn't pick-up on any other files), you should be fine.

65 Posts

July 28th, 2009 07:00

Thank you.

Is there a way that I can identify which program is accessing/using that .dat (data) file?

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

July 28th, 2009 08:00

does the avast scan list the full path specification for that file?   (alternatively, you can try searching your drive for the file, which should then tell you the full path specification)

by a full path specification, i mean something looking like

c:\Program Files\CleanerXYZ\amsdata.dat

This would tell us that amsdata.dat is part of the "CleanerXYZ" program.

P.S.   I'm trying to do some web searches for that file name.   by any chance, are you using AutoPlay Media Studio (IndigoRose Software Design Corp.)?   Or a Rosetta Stone language-learning program?

No Events found!