Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 17th, 2004 09:00

is Download Accelerator Plus a spyware?

The Ad-aware did not find anything wrong with the DAP, but Spybot S&D found many files from the DAP. Should I remove it?

Thanks

3.9K Posts

April 17th, 2004 09:00

http://www.tucows.com/preview/193995.html

Read the link from the 'licence - adware'

---------quote-------------------------
These programs don't cost a penny. The developers support their programs by placing advertisements inside their programs. If you appreciate the work done by these dedicated authors, do them a favor and check out their sponsors. The majority of adware authors have advertisement-free versions of their software available for a small fee. The ads serve as a revenue source for the author, which allows them to stretch their program and update more frequently. A few companies are frequently associated with Adware programs: Cydoor, Radiate, Web3000 and Aureate.
-----------------------------------------

As it said - NO programs are free - the author needs some recompence. Even the anti-malware programs that we advise are mostly donationware, free but if you have some spare cash, please let them have some, the developers need an income to survive, they have to eat too.

BTW it is unlikely that in removing DAP that you will remove all the adware that came with it. You may need to use spybot/Ad-aware or even hijackthis to get your machine clean.
Here is a link for the setting you should use with Spybot and Ad-aware - post a hijackthis log as a reply here for removal instruction from an expert.
http://www.cjwd.demon.co.uk/spybot-adaware.html

25 Posts

April 20th, 2004 04:00

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the link on how to setup and use spybot and ad-aware. I always use them but don't know how to set them up properly.

From the quote in your message, it seems the DAP only contain adware and has no spyware. Does it mean my computer is safe and as long as i don't mind some ad, there is no negative effect on my computer? I want to know that because I do find the DAP quite helpful in speeding up my download when I use FTP. If DAP has no spyware, I may just keep it.

Thanks.

3.9K Posts

April 20th, 2004 12:00

Yes my believe is it contains Adware, not Spyware.

25 Posts

April 20th, 2004 16:00

Hi Chris,

Thanks again for answering my question.

No Events found!