Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 4th, 2013 23:00

"This program contained a virus and was deleted"

"This program contained a virus and was deleted" pops up when I try to download anything.  I am unable to download ANY program.  I tried  "run", "save" and "save as" and rename the program but none of these options work.  I have used system restore several times.  I run Norton 360 and SUPERAnti Spyware but neither detects a problem.  Research on the internet suggests its a rootkit virus and they list ways to manually remove.  However, I cannot find the things in the registry they are listing and also they want me to download something to help locate the virus but since I CANT download anything...my software warranty with dell expired in june of course.  I cannot afford to take it somewhere.  Can anyone recommend something I can do myself?

5.8K Posts

August 5th, 2013 04:00

deleted

3 Apprentice

• 

20.5K Posts

August 5th, 2013 04:00

My suggestion is to post the required DDS logs on the Malware Removal Forum at SpywareHammer and have the staff trained in malware removal walk you through the diagnostic logs and a cleanup. They do not use remote access but will advise you step-by-step on what you can do. Please do not attempt to run any additional scans, install software, or use any other tools until an analyst can advise you on the next step. If you cannot download the requested tools, let them know that.They have ways to handle that.  Please use the same username there as you have here. Help is free, but you will need to register there and follow the posting instructions. The instructions will inform you of where to download DDS and how to run a scan to post the output information. Don't forget to check your email and click on the link they send you in order to confirm your registration.

3 Apprentice

• 

20.5K Posts

August 6th, 2013 08:00

Hi CRT Tech,

Those of us who are in research and development have means for obtaining malware files for testing purposes. Please use those resources. Your forum solicitation here may be a Dell TOU violation.

No Events found!