Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 14th, 2011 09:00

virus jumbled all my file associations and won't let me reset them.....will upgrade to windows 7 overwrite everything on my comp. including virus?

The virus made a window pop up that said it was a windows xp security 2011.  I tried to end it in task manager several times, then did a system restore.  After I did a system restore all my file associations were all mixed up and every which way I try to change the associations it won't let me.  It won't even let me open system restore or anything like it.

My question is if I install the full version of windows 7 (right now I have windows xp) to my computer will it also erase everything on my computer including the virus?  Thanks for any help I can get!!

anything special I need to do if it's a laptop?

I have a dell xps m140

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

May 14th, 2011 15:00

I was waiting for BugBatter to reply here... but since it's been several hours and she hasn't:

before considering a change/upgrade of operating system, you might want to see if you can fix the issue by following the directions/procedure listed here:   http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=82696

before you say that it can't be done, take careful note to do things exactly as specified... in particular, I want to stress the following 3 special points made there:

1) If you are unable to download MBAM directly to the infected computer, you should download it to another computer, and then transfer it (via memory stick) to the infected machine.

2) since .exe files wont run on your infected machine,  you'll have to rename the  setup file from mbam-setup.exe: Posted Image

to mbam-setup.com: Posted Image

3) likewise, after installing MBAM, you will have to rename it from mbam.exe to mbam.com in order to run it.

Keeping these 3 points in mind, go back and follow, step-by-step, the procedure indicated in the link above. 

NOTE:  If Bugbatter replies here by the time you read this, then please follow anything she says that differs from my suggestion.

40 Posts

May 14th, 2011 17:00

Thanks for your help, it's really appreciated! 

I did try all that, and it scanned with malwarebytes for over an hour, I think it was almost all the way through the scan.  I then walked away from the computer for 15 minutes and came back to the BSOD--yay!!  I restarted my computer and restarted the scan again.  Hopefully this time it will work, we'll see.

Thanks again for the help!

40 Posts

May 14th, 2011 19:00

Oh my gosh, I'm so happy!!  It worked!!  I ran it the second time and it worked.  Thank you sooo much!!

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

May 14th, 2011 20:00

Glad to have been of help.

If BugBatter enters this thread, or contacts you with additional advice, be sure to follow whatever she says.

20.5K Posts

May 15th, 2011 12:00

Hi Ihamm.

It's good to learn that your issue was resolved. If you would like a follow-up, it might be good to post your log from Malwarebytes along with logs from DDS on the Malware Removal forum so that the helpers there can make sure no vulnerabilities still exist and that the malware is not still in your System Restore.

Please download DDS and save it to your desktop.

• Disable any script blocking protection
  • Double click dds.scr to run the tool.
  • When done, DDS.txt will open.
  • Click Yes at the next prompt for Optional Scan.
  • Save both reports to your desktop.

Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet. Information on A/V control HERE.

---------------------------------------------------
Please include the contents of the following logs by copying and pasting the text of each into a NEW POST on the Malware Removal Forum.

1. DDS.txt
2. Attach.txt

3. Your log showing what MBAM removed

Please also include a link to this discussion.

Thanks.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

May 15th, 2011 14:00

BB,

thanks for the follow-up... much appreciated :emotion-1:

lhamm has started an MR thread here: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/virus-spyware/f/3521/t/19378767.aspx

No Events found!