Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

February 9th, 2018 00:00

Power button not doing anything. Solid amber light on motherboard vostro 200 slim tower

When I plug the computer in there is a solid amber light on the motherboard so I know the board is getting power, at least at a basic level. However, when I press the power button nothing happens. The power button doesn't light up, the fans don't spin, nothing beeps. Nothing.

I'm thinking the psu is dead so I was thinking of getting a replacement. What form factor is the psu? I'm unfamiliar with the sizes. An authentic vostro 200 psu looks to be £60+ so there's no way I'm getting one of those. I guess I'll dump the components in a larger case and put a full atx psu in there for probably the same price.

Thoughts?

• 

16.7K Posts

February 9th, 2018 09:00

profound_pessimism,

Unfortunately, this is a sign of a bad motherboard as well. You may end needing a power supply and motherboard.

• Reseat the power cable in the power connector on the back of the computer and the electrical outlet.
  • If the computer is plugged into a power strip, ensure the power strip is plugged into an electrical outlet and is turned on. Also, bypass power protection devices, power strips, and power extension cables to verify the computer turns on properly.
  • Ensure the electrical outlet is working by testing it with another device, such as a lamp.

1 Message

October 8th, 2023 05:15

I have the same computer/problem. Most of the time the yellow light stays on when first plugging it in from absolute no power (hard reset or sudden power loss). Generally then it takes pushing the power button till the yellow light slowly fades in then takes maybe 2 min to boot. Although pushing the button till yellow fade out then pushing the button after that time frame seems to work?

No Events found!