Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

1 Message

May 25th, 2019 07:00

Dell Vostro 3546 SSD addition

Hello. Recently I'm planning to add a 240GB SSD to my Dell Vostro 3546 laptop. I heard that my laptop don't have a M.2 slot for SSD. After searching in the Internet I learned that I can replace my CD/DVD reader/writer module with my previous HDD and attach the new SSD to my HDD slot. Is it possible? And will my SSD underperform in that scenario as it will be connected via a SATA connector? Also which all versions of SATA connectors are available in my laptop?
Kindly help me with my queries soon as I've got only few days to do it.
Have a nice day.

2 Posts

October 2nd, 2022 02:00

Hey Saurav,

I also want to upgrade my dell Vastro 3546. If you had got the solution please tell me too.

I thought it is possible with SATA 2.5 (7 mm) Internal drive but not sure about, if there is different version of SATA 

10 Elder

• 

23.2K Posts

October 2nd, 2022 07:00

You need to replace the existing drive with a 2.5" SATA SSD.  You may need a spacer to fit the SSD, which will almost certainly be slimmer than the hard drive:

Example:

https://www.cdw.com/product/edge-7mm-to-9.5mm-ssd-spacer-adapter-for-2.5-drives/3817225

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

October 2nd, 2022 08:00

For SSD, you may use any 7mm (with a spacer/adapter) or 9.5mm SATA SSD. An SSD will make your laptop much faster and more responsive, a noticeable difference.

I can recommend Crucial MX500 SATA SSDs. Tests show them to have almost the performance of much more expensive competitors, yet the MX500 drives are more reasonably priced. They recently reduced the prices, so they are good value. They include the 7mm-to-9.5mm spacer/adapter. Here are some on Amazon

Dell's Owners Manual for your model shows you how to open the laptop and replace the drive.

Whenever handling RAM and touching internal components, wear a grounded wrist strap, also called anti-static wrist strap, ESD wrist strap, or ground bracelet. I know many people do such work without this, but it's a cheap and sensible precaution. Rest the laptop on an anti-static mat or at least a reasonable alternative such as corrugated cardboard.

2 Posts

October 3rd, 2022 02:00

Will Samsung 870 EVO 500GB SATA 6.35 cm (2.5") Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) (MZ-77E500) work?

or

crucial MX500 500GB 2.5" SSD

I am thinking to buy one of two? 

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

October 3rd, 2022 05:00

Yes, they will work. Depending upon how a drive fits in your laptop, you may need a 2.5mm adapter to better fit the 7mm drive in the 9.5mm bay. It's just a plastic frame. On my old Dell XPS laptop, I didn't need to use an adapter because the drive bracket holds the new drive so securely. You may or may not need one. Crucial includes it, I don't know about Samsung.

January 25th, 2024 11:06

Hello 

Can you please help me to identify that below SDD could work with DELL VOSTRO 3546 Laptop

WESTERN DIGITAL WD Green SATA 1 TB Desktop, Laptop Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) (WDS100T3G0A) 

No Events found!