Start a Conversation

Unsolved

V

5 Posts

August 6th, 2018 02:00

Laptop Battery stopped charging after a windows 10 update

Hi,

My wife has Vostro 3559 (Service Tag: ). Laptop was working fine for more than a year and we were updating windows 10 continuously. Couple of weeks ago, a windows 10 update was installed and since then (i guess so), we are getting a error while booting the laptop. It says "ac adapter wattage and type cannot be determined and battery may not charge". You can ignore the message and continue to boot.

After the login to window we see that battery is not charging. it says "Plugged in but not charging"

- I tried to uninstall/reinstall the battery drivers but it did not help.

- In bios, it says battery health excellent but Adapter type = unknown

- I tried to use another adapter but it also did not work.

- I tried to update bios but my battery is charged less than 5 percent (now 0 percent) so it did not allow me to update bios.

- Since battery is completely drained now, the laptop is performing really bad. it also making a weird noise if try to use inbuild speaker. At this moment laptop is more or less unusable.

I saw on Microsoft forum that it's a known issue caused by windows 10 updates however microsoft has not admitted it. it is supposed to disappear with updates but which one, no one knows. I am continuously installing windows 10 updates but so far no luck.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-power-winpc/battery-plugged-in-not-charging-after-windows-10/4a27f712-e840-4eb7-a545-54b711750b9d

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/after-windows-10-update-1803-battery-problems/56534858-6509-4d15-b91a-edf4dd2d810c

What exactly is the problem ?... Many people in Dell forums reported that replacing battery, adapter also did not solve it. 

Can Microsoft and Dell work together to fix it once and for all ?...  It is utterly frustrating.

Should i wait for updates ? or should i reconcile to the idea that laptop would never work again ?

Regards
Vishnu Kumar

3 Posts

January 19th, 2019 08:00

Have you been able to solve this problem somehow? I have started to have the same issue after a Windows update.

1 Message

March 27th, 2019 06:00

I've had this happen several times after updates. One time I flashed BIOS but this is what I did today and what usually works on my Inspiron 15z (I don't have a removable battery and did not disconnect the built in one). 

• Open the Device Manager by searching for it or right-clicking the Start button and selecting Device Manager.
  • Click Batteries on the list to expand it and you should see two items: Microsoft AC Adapter and Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery.

device-manager-batteriesScreenshot by Matt Elliott/CNET

• Right-click on each item and choose Uninstall device. Yes, you are uninstalling your laptop's battery drivers, but don't worry because they will automatically be reinstalled when you restart your laptop.
  • Shut down your laptop.
  • Unplug the power cable from your laptop.
  • If your laptop has a removable battery, remove it. My Lenovo laptop does not have a removable battery. I tried skipping this step but it didn't work, so I removed the bottom panel of my laptop and then removed the battery by disconnecting it from the motherboard.
  • Put the battery back in if you removed it.
  • Plug in your laptop.
  • Power on your laptop.
  • Click the battery icon in the system tray and you should see that your laptop is plugged in and charging.

1 Message

November 27th, 2019 03:00

Didn’t help

1 Message

November 21st, 2021 20:00

I had the same problem as OP on my Dell Inspiron 7706. I just tried out your solution -- or as much as I could, since the battery can't be removed. It worked! Thank you!

No Events found!