Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 20th, 2022 05:00

Vostro 1720 keeps switching off

Hello all, I have a Vostro 1720 that runs Win 10, but lately it has been running very slow. I had the HDD replaced by a SSD, the RAM maxed at 4 GB (previously 3gb) and a fresh install of Win 10. Since this was done, by an IT engineer, the laptop keeps switching off and back to the home screen. It doesn't seem to matter what the laptop is doing. This never happened before, even though it was slow at times. I used HD sentinel, no problems with the SSD and memchecj to check the RAM, again nothing reported. I have ruled out the power supply (ie the external cable one). Any suggestions please?

10 Elder

• 

24.7K Posts

May 22nd, 2022 07:00

Unplug the system, remove the battery and hold the power button for 30 sec.  Remove and reinstall the memory module(s).  Re-test.  If the test still hangs, try one module at a time in each socket until the hang ceases.  If one module hangs the test in either socket, it's bad and will need to be replaced.  If both modules hang in one socket, the socket is bad and the mainboard will need to be replaced.

10 Elder

• 

24.7K Posts

May 20th, 2022 06:00

If the system is running hot, be sure it's internally clean (and that it's had a replacement of the thermal pads at least within the last couple of years).

If it's not overheating, but simply cutting out, chances are you're seeing the effect of aged components on the system board that are failing -- this is after all a system that's in its teenage years, so that isn't unexpected.

6 Posts

May 20th, 2022 07:00

Thank you for that. I can try to check that. The odd thing is that it has only started doing this since putting the SSD in, and the memory increase and fresh Windows install. Although it was slow before it has never done this

6 Posts

May 20th, 2022 11:00

Thanks I will try that over the weekend. That is very useful. I have had several messages asking for the service tags.             

thank you

10 Elder

• 

24.7K Posts

May 20th, 2022 11:00

Does it stay powered up if leave it sitting at a setup screen (F2 at powerup), or does it shut down even there?  If it cuts out in Setup, it's a hardware issue. 

If it stays powered up in setup but cuts out under Windows, that would point the figure toward the Windows installation.

6 Posts

May 21st, 2022 18:00

Hi again. I did as suggested, and left it in setup / BIOS. Didn't switch off and on once in 2 hours. I tried the Windows memory diagnostic tool, and it got stuck on halfway. Thanks again

6 Posts

May 22nd, 2022 10:00

Thank you. I will try this asap. May be a long job this one! Much appreciated

6 Posts

June 1st, 2022 14:00

Hi all. Many thanks for your help. After further work on my IT guys part, it seems one of the RAM modules had a dry solder joint. Not sure where exactly, but it's fixed now. So, faulty RAM. I put this here in case it's searched by someone else. Thanks again. Best wishes to all

No Events found!