Start a Conversation

Unsolved

C

6 Posts

October 10th, 2022 07:00

Vostro 3515 GPU driver failures

Vostro 15 3515

Vostro 15 3515

We're having a consistent issue across a range of different time ordered Vostro 3515 R5 units

These are fresh built Win11 22H1 (user preference) deployments, but every single one is having issues where the external screen they've got plugged in drops off.

If you go into compmgmt, the Vega 8 video driver is listed under display adaptors, however it's in disabled state. You have to go into uninstallation of the driver, reinstall and mostly it'll work - for a bit. I've tried with the AMD Adrenaline driver from the site, again it works for a while (sometimes a day on one of the units), and off it goes again.

It's pretty much drawing in complaints from users multiple times a day, almost every day, to the extent it's causing mass issues across the board.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

October 10th, 2022 08:00

Make sure to get the vega Win 11 driver from Dell (not AMD) since Dell customizes all  laptop drivers from all manufacturers to work on the Dell board.

Support for Vostro 15 3515 | Drivers & Downloads | Dell US

6 Posts

October 10th, 2022 08:00

Yes, the problem exists on the Dell Win11 driver. The AMD Adrenaline was an attempt at a workaround that didn't succeed either.

1 Message

October 25th, 2022 00:00

I confirm. I have the same. I have latest Dell drivers. The service has not done anything for a week!!!. Before that, they swapped the motherboard and audio board. But it didn't help. Now the laptop after starting with the Dell logo does not display anything on its screen or on an external monitor. This computer and services is a failure !!!

1 Message

November 10th, 2022 05:00

Hi CSerpent,

I've the exact same issue.  I'm on my 3rd resolve attempt from Dell.   I've had a motherboard replacement and a complete replacement.   The driver becomes disabled within windows 10 and drops the external display.

Windows 11

Mark

November 11th, 2022 03:00

We are also experiencing the same issue. We changed our model to the dell vostro 3515 and purchased around 40 happening on all the devices.

we deploy our baseline os image via SCCM.

its happening on all devices on the following builds 21h1, 22h2 and windows 11.

We have tried changing the power management settings, reinstalling the driver, updating the bios and all other drivers to the latest versions., resetting the OS and manually domain integrating to avoid deploying our pre built image. 

We have tried updating the graphics driver through both adrenaline and the dell website directly. After restarting the device it will work for a short period of time but not longer after the issue happens again.

Currently trying the below fix amending the registry.

https://tencomputer.com/fix-amd-driver-crashes-on-windows-10/#6 

6 Posts

November 12th, 2022 03:00

The only clue to the situation we've found is that event viewer shows a power delivery issue related to the times of the crashes.

My gut tells me that the system isn't delivering sufficient power to the GPU to deliver and in turn it's crashing out the driver.  We've got this raised as an issue to ProSupport currently and I've made them aware of this thread (as well as several posts on r/Dell).

6 Posts

November 12th, 2022 03:00

Also there's a new GPU driver on the Dell support pages from Tuesday. It doesn't show in SupportAssist or Command Update oddly, and when you install it has a normal AMD Adrenaline install interface and wrapper versus any Dell customisation.

November 14th, 2022 07:00

so it looks like its no longer crashing now.

When we downloaded the GPU driver from dells website, it automatically installs adrenaline and we updated it from there again to the latest version.

We just downloaded the GPU driver from Dells website then didn't update it further through adenaline just closed it and thats been stable for over 24 hours, the longest yet...

November 18th, 2022 03:00

Hi all,

We are also having this issue - affecting all of our Dell Vostro 3515 laptops. Tried updating drivers, BIOS etc - still not working. The driver seems to crash/uninstall itself - and we have to reinstall it to get it back up and running.

@DanielBailey20  Do you have any updates on your issue?

This is surely a problem with all machines - Please sort ASAP Dell!

6 Posts

November 18th, 2022 04:00

We've been testing the new driver for the past week on a device and have had no crashes.

Dell have advised they believe the problem with the old driver is in the AMD Crash Defender service and have recommended stopping and disabling it.

3 Posts

November 23rd, 2022 05:00

We've had this issue for the past couple of months, we have almost 60 Vostro 3515 and the issue is recurring every day for multiple devices.

Nothing up to now has fixed the issue. New Dell display drivers have been installed, registry entry that was previously mentioned has been added and it's still happening daily.

The only thing I haven't tried is disabling the AMD Crash Defender as mentioned above but this mentions it was an issue with older drivers so I'm not hopeful.

December 1st, 2022 10:00

Hi all,

Thanks - this issue is still occurring on 40+ Dell Vostro 3515 laptops. This is appalling from Dell!

December 7th, 2022 04:00

Apologies i forgot to come back, unfortunately we're still having the issue and haven't managed to find a fix. 

3 Posts

December 8th, 2022 03:00

Unfortunately, it's still happening to us too. Will report back if anything changes.

3 Posts

December 9th, 2022 01:00

We've got a fair number of these machines as well doing exactly the same thing. One has been back to Dell for a motherboard and CPU replacement and the problem is still happening. 

Dell needs to sort this out or just accept there is something fundamentally wrong with this model and recall them all.

It looks like there is a large amount of IT professionals complaining about this that buy a large amount of Dell laptops and we for one will be looking to other manufacturers if this isn't sorted out. 

No Events found!