Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 19th, 2018 21:00

Vostro 430 not powering on

I have a Vostro 430 motherboard that refuses to power on.

Right now I have it hooked up with a Xeon X3470, 16GB of RAM (2x Avexir Core 8GB 1600MHz), and an nVidia GT 310.

Using a standard power button won't do anything. No activity whatsoever.

If I connect my Dell Optiplex 3010 DT 240W power supply and press the test button on the rear of the unit, the entire system powers on, but there's no beep codes or LED codes from the power LED.

The RAM I am using and the cooler I am using both have LEDs so I can confirm that the RAM is receiving power, and I also know that although it is not officially supported I have seen the X3470 working in this motherboard model before.

Does anybody have any tips for what might be wrong? The motherboard handles powering on fine but refuses to do anything.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 19th, 2018 21:00

Has it ever worked with the Xeon X3470 installed?

Have you been working on the insides lately, or did it just die?

64 Posts

April 20th, 2018 21:00

I ordered this motherboard on Amazon because it was the cheapest LGA1156 motherboard available. It arrived and I plopped everything in and...it didn't work.

I know for a fact that it unofficially supports the X3470.

64 Posts

April 20th, 2018 21:00

-double post-

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 20th, 2018 23:00

@53XYT1G3Rwrote:

I ordered this motherboard on Amazon because it was the cheapest LGA1156 motherboard available. It arrived and I plopped everything in and...it didn't work.

I know for a fact that it unofficially supports the X3470.

Once you replace the motherboard in a Dell with a non-Dell MB, it's no-longer "a Dell". Obviously, we only support Dells and Alienwares here. We don't support custom-builds here (but other forums on the net do).

But since you took the time to post, I'll give you some departing tips.
- Maybe you should contact the maker of your motherboard for assistance.
- Build the machine-up as minimal as possible at first.
- Try to find (at least) something that works so you can test some parts (one at a time).
- Maybe you should try a (more normal) Intel non-Xeon processor
- Workstation-class Xeon and (baby) 240watt power-supply just doesn't sound right to me for some reason

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-General/Alienware-Desktop-General-Hardware-Troubleshooting/m-p/5555517#M57436

64 Posts

May 17th, 2018 17:00

But since you took the time to post, I'll give you some departing tips.

- Maybe you should contact the maker of your motherboard for assistance.

the motherboard is from a Dell Vostro 430.

- Build the machine-up as minimal as possible at first.

I already tried that.

- Try to find (at least) something that works so you can test some parts (one at a time).

Forcing power on via PSU power-detect pin shorting allows RAM and fans to power on.

- Maybe you should try a (more normal) Intel non-Xeon processor

Tried a known working i3 540. Nothing.

- Workstation-class Xeon and (baby) 240watt power-supply just doesn't sound right to me for some reason.

The power supply is for testing purposes only.

No Events found!