Start a Conversation

Unsolved

O

17 Posts

March 4th, 2019 01:00

Vostro 5481 + m.2 SSD installation + incompetent support

Hello.

OFFTOPIC ON

First, sorry for the click-bait subject but I really have bad experience regarding the support I received regarding my brand new Dell Vostro 5481 laptop. The price of my laptop in Hungary is almost 1000 USD which is the monthly average salary in the country so I am a bit sensitive if my problem remains unresolved after a tons of emails and calls with the product support.

OFFTOPIC OFF

My laptop is a Vostro 5481. Core i5, 4Gbyte RAM + 1Gbyte HDD, No SSD. As you can see this is the cheapest version. The reason I bought this version is that I wanted to expand the memory and install the SSD myself. This is cheaper than buy it pre-installed from Dell and I already got a 256Gbyte M.2 Samsung 950Pro NVME SSD which is far better than anything Dell can offer for this laptop, and again it was already in my possession so why would I buy a laptop with an SSD right?

So I bought the Vostro two weeks ago, and 16Gbyte RAM separately (which has the right parameters to be 100% compatible). So I opened the bottom of my laptop and installed the RAM and well... tried to install the M.2 SSD. The fact is that the M.2 slot is there, I can put my m.2 SSD in it, it is working perfectly, but the standoff which could be used to secure the SSD to the chassis is completely missing. So I can't screw the standard M2x3 screw - which is also mentioned by the service manual for this laptop - anywhere to secure the M.2 SSD (and lock in place). The following picture (captured from the service manual) showing the part my laptop is missing. It is marked as red:

IMG-0184.PNG

The same area of my laptop is looks like this:

IMG-0185.JPGIMG-0186.JPG

As you can see there is only a bridge with a hole pressed into the chassis, but the standoff is completely missing. The same thing for 2230 M.2 SSD. Only a bridge with a hole (it is covered by my SSD on the picture since it is a 2280).

The support told me that the hole on the bridge is the standoff itself and I should be able to use a screw which is under Dell Part number H1M5R, which is guess what, is a standard M2x3 screw (also mentioned in the Service Manual). If somebody ever seen a standard M2x3 screw and a standard M.2 SSD, based on my pictures it is a clear thing that the hole on the bridge is simply too big for this screw and that is a piece of metal with a hole, and it has no comb where you can screw the M2x3. The second thing is that since my M.2 SSD is already laying on the 2230 bridge, tightly securing it to the 2280 whole in it is current form would generate tension in the M.2 SSD. So it is a clear thing that you need a standoff (as you normally do) to ensure that after you secured the SSD it will remain level and will not touch anything beneath especially the standoff/bridge/whatever for 2230.

The support is claiming the only thing I need is the H1M5R screw despite I already told them that an M2x3 screw (which I already have) is too small for that hole and the standoff is clearly missing.

There is no indication in the service manual that for the HDD only models the standoffs are missing and to be honest it would be insane if Dell would like to spare some money by intentionally leaving the standoffs out while the M.2 socket and the required electronics is still there (which I guess a more expensive part than a 0,0003 USD metal bit).

Can someone help me what to do because my laptop is either a faulty one (the standoffs were not pressed to the chassis during manufacturing), or there should be another part which I can use to fix my SSD professionally and securely to the chassis. The current solution on the pictures I think is not worthy for a 1000 USD laptop and it is not secure as the SSD eventually can slide out from the socket.

7 Technologist

• 

12.1K Posts

March 4th, 2019 05:00

17 Posts

March 5th, 2019 02:00

@JOcean: This is exactly what I am looking for. The question is which one I should pick up?

March 19th, 2019 06:00

Did you sort it out. My Dell Inspiron 15 5580 also has the same problem. What did you do

17 Posts

March 19th, 2019 07:00

@AvinashKiran: Hello. Unfortunately my problem did not resolved yet. I ziptied the SSD to the chassis. Insulated the bottom of the SSD with foam tape to ensure that there won't be any short circuit when it touches the metal parts beneath. That's what I did (yeah, so professional for a 1000 USD notebook). It is not a rock solid solution as the SSD can still slide out from the M.2 socket so I need to open the laptop and check its position from time to time. Until you came with the same problem I thought my problem is a unique manufacturing issue, slipped through quality check, because it is hard to believe that Dell is trying to spare some money on a 0.0001 USD standoff while everything else is still included on the motherboard (controller, M.2 socket, etc) which I assume more expensive than a standoff. But I think it is rather an intentional and stupid thing from Dell that they punish the HDD only version buyers (who thinks that they will be able to install the M.2 SSD by themselves). The problem is that we are quite misguided as the service manual which can be downloaded from the Dell website for my notebook, suggests that I will be able to install an M.2 SSD, moreover there are pictures how I can do it. This is a shame.

March 19th, 2019 07:00

Well.. I can feel you dude. From the moment i bought this laptop i am running from pillar to post to get my Samsung 970 Evo SSD installed in this laptop. I called multiple times customer support and they literally gave me a hand. I went to the Dell Service center too. They too are clueless. When i checked the manual for Inspiron 5580 i learned that in order to fit the SSD there will be some kind of screw mount which they didn't provide with the system. This is a serious technical lapse from their side. See the attached pic.Screenshot_2019-03-16-19-53-40-870_com.google.android.apps.docs.png

8 Posts

March 26th, 2019 00:00

I had the same model and specs as you. I was told that I will need a SSD bracket, which can be purchase from Dell parts center it cost me around 3USD just for the screw mount bracket, but it took more than a month to arrive to me, which is quite a pain to wait.

the item number is CPA-GDKK0, description of the part is ASSY,BRKT,SSD,BUCKY/BENSOLO

hope this helps

1 Message

July 7th, 2019 10:00

@AvinashKiran  how did you solved your problem. I am facing the same problem. couldn't find the ssd mount anywhere either.

17 Posts

July 7th, 2019 11:00

Hello.

I didn't resolve it. I can't get any help from anyone.

1 Message

July 11th, 2019 09:00

> the item number is CPA-GDKK0, description of the part is ASSY,BRKT,SSD,BUCKY/BENSOLO

Please, where exactly have you find it and purchased? Googling throughout Dell's website and anywhere else can't help =(

17 Posts

July 12th, 2019 02:00

I just emailed one of the official service partners here in Hungary. They said this part cannot be identified in Dell's System (whatever it means), and they advise me to obtain this part from "other" websites... What? It is really a shame...

July 12th, 2019 03:00

Thank you for this information! I have the same problem.

1 Message

August 18th, 2019 21:00

You need to order a bracket. And a screw. Goes under either bridge.

3 Posts

September 16th, 2019 02:00

Sorry for my google translate... I threaded an M3 x0.5 thread and simply **bleep** in a suitable M3 bolt.

tap a hole

3 Posts

September 16th, 2019 04:00

Sorry for my google translate... I threaded an M3 x0.5 thread and simply **bleep** in a suitable M3 bolt.

IMG_20190914_113323.jpg

IMG_20190914_113624.jpg

IMG_20190914_113902.jpg

1 Message

October 20th, 2019 08:00

Это прекрасно! Это по-нашему, по-русски!

No Events found!