Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

February 9th, 2018 01:00

scaleio via fibre channel

Hi all,

I am thinking about deploying scaleio on my VM cluster (3 esxi hosts), I am wondering if I can deploy it using fibre channel as the medium (instead of my 1G ethernet).

Because these hosts are originally connecting to our SAN through fibre channel, do I need to install an additional fibre channel HBA card on each host?

Thank you very much.

February 9th, 2018 05:00

As per the guide:-

ScaleIO is a software-only solution that uses existing servers' local disks and LAN to create a virtual SAN that has all the benefits of external storage—but at a fraction of cost and complexity. ScaleIO utilizes the existing local storage devices and turns them into shared block storage. For many workloads, ScaleIO storage is comparable to, or better than external shared block storage. The lightweight ScaleIO software components are installed on the application servers and communicate via a standard LAN to handle the application I/O requests sent to ScaleIO block volumes. An extremely efficient decentralized block I/O flow, combined with a distributed, sliced volume layout, results in a massively parallel I/O system that can scale up to thousands of nodes. ScaleIO is designed and implemented with enterprise-grade resilience. Furthermore, the software features an efficient distributed self-healing process that overcomes media and server failures, without requiring administrator involvement. Dynamic and elastic, ScaleIO enables administrators to add or remove servers and capacity on-the-fly. The software immediately responds to the changes, rebalancing the storage distribution and achieving a layout that optimally suits the new configuration. Because ScaleIO is hardware agnostic, the software works efficiently with various types of disks, including: magnetic (HDD) and solid-state disks (SSD), flash PCI Express (PCIe) cards, networks, and hosts. ScaleIO can easily be installed in an existing infrastructure as well as in green field configurations.

Hence ScaleIO is designed to use local internal disks installed in the Servers (SDS nodes) and each server is connected via LAN to create a virtual SAN. You will need to add additional 10G NICs instead of HBAs (in case you have only 1G). Please refer to the Deployment guide for more clarification how the  product works.

9 Posts

February 13th, 2018 01:00

Thank you very much,

Yes, you are right I see ethernet and IB, but seems that it can't be render through fibre channel.

No Events found!