Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 14th, 2018 13:00

VxRail move to new cluster

Are there any work arounds to migrate a VxRail from one external vCenter to another?  There are articles on how it can be done with a generic vsan cluster, but all documentation i've seen for VxRail states the VxRail needs a factory reset.  With new nodes requiring VxRail 4.5 (which requires vCenter 6.5) I can only assume others are in the same boat as not being at vCenter 6.5 yet in large environments.

Articles on vsan migration to new vCenter

https://www.virtuallyghetto.com/2014/09/how-to-move-a-vsan-cluster-from-one-vcenter-server-to-another.html

Migrating VSAN cluster between vCenters |VMware Communities

VSAN: swapping out old vCenter (Server A) with ... |VMware Communities

Thanks

142 Posts

February 16th, 2018 04:00

The Procedure is in Solve. If you don't have access to it, please work with support.

142 Posts

February 15th, 2018 06:00

Hi Garret,

Use the procedure to migrate from internal to external vCenter. Officialy not supported, but it works.

18 Posts

February 15th, 2018 07:00

Could you post that procedure? 

Thank you.

12 Posts

February 16th, 2018 03:00

Hi Garret

A couple of things to just be aware of on this as we looked into the external vCenter for our clusters.

• If you use an external vcenter you cannot perform a straight for "click" update using the VxRAIL manager.
  • You get vCenter licensing with VxRAIL for an internal vCenter not an external so you have to buy it and maintain it.
  • Generating log bundles doesnt work correctly.

With the procedure EMC_Troy says its not supported unless you get EMC to do it so be aware of that. So in theory the best way is to rebuild the cluster as that is supported.

Hope that helps.

Jon Garrett

18 Posts

February 16th, 2018 06:00

Thanks again Troy.  I can't see that Migration section so it looks like EMC and Partners only.  I'll work on getting that.

18 Posts

February 16th, 2018 07:00

Hi Jon,

A few points to what you mentioned:

• If you use an external vcenter you cannot perform a straight for "click" update using the VxRAIL manager. - We've upgraded all of ours this way successfully.  Some had hitches in a few since we've had them since very early versions but recent versions were smooth.
  • You get vCenter licensing with VxRAIL for an internal vCenter not an external so you have to buy it and maintain it. - True but we have clusters all over the world.  vCenters all over the world would be a management nightmare.
  • Generating log bundles doesn't work correctly - We've worked through issues so i'm not sure what you're referring to but I will say many of our log gathering was manual.
  • Rebuilding the cluster just isn't an option after it has data and deployed. 

For Dell EMC VxRAIL to stay relevant the ability to migrate to new vCenters in a supported way is a must.

IMO the internal vcenter has very little use case for us.

Thanks,

Garret

1 Message

November 8th, 2019 07:00

Hello
The procedure aren't available anymore.
Do you have a link to get it ?

11 Posts

May 20th, 2020 10:00

Hi Garret, I found your old post here about moving vxrail clusters.  I am about to undertake the same process, moving a vxrail cluster from an external vcenter to another external vcenter.  Do you have any tips or docs you can share other than the solve procudure?

Feel free to email me directly 

Thanks for anything,

-GB

No Events found!