Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

1 Message

August 12th, 2019 06:00

AW988 Headset Configuration with Command Center

Hello folks,

i got a problem with my AW 988 wireless headset i bought last november.
As an IT guy myself, I usually dont phone the technical support of manufacturers outside my work.
But in this case I did it, because I am quite desperate getting my AW988 software running correctly on my Windows 10 (1903).
But I'll start at the beginning...

When I bought the AW988 the official software was the "Alienware Headset Center".
It wasn't that fancy kind of software, but it did work for configurate the LEDs or sound profiles of the headset.
After the initial configuration I used this piece of software mainly for checking the battery.
A few months ago I recognized, that it stopped connecting to the headset.
When I start the Headset Center it keeps initializing the connection til im clicking...than it crashes with the Windows typical
"application stops working" notification.
I reinstalled it and tried it on another PC - same behaviour.

So I asked Google whats happening there and found those reddit threads explaining,
that the fancy new software ist the "Alienware Command Center":
https://www.reddit.com/r/Alienware/comments/a5nz1z/where_can_i_download_alienware_headset_center/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Alienware/comments/a0s8r4/aw988_headset_center_software_constant_crash_can/

After reading this I was happy that there is a new software, maybe with a possibility to update the firmware too.
But i noticed the complains in those threads and what should I say...I am also affected.

In tried every possbile combination of installing/uninstalling and restarting the PC with the software on the following website:
https://www.dell.com/support/home/de/de/dedhs1/product-support/product/alienware-wireless-gaming-headset-aw988/drivers

I wont get the possibility to cofigure the headset (next to the power management under the tab "fusion" the reddit post says)
I also tried the version from the Windows Store
But this one is just downloading the Command Center Version from the drivers and software link above and prompt to install it again.

Once I got the Command Center to make me download the "Alienware Sound Center" (I'm tired of all those centers...but OK).
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/alienware-sound-center/9msvccrxmlcp?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

But of course the download fails with Windows Store Error 0x803F8001.

Now after hours of trying different combinations of software and install orders I managed to install the
"Alienware Sound Center" and i got the software to recognize the headset.
Under "FUSION" Tab I can configure Sound. The settings are transferred correctly.

The LED configuration however is not transferring...or maybe saving?
Everytime im clicking on save design ("Design speichern" - blue button at the bottom left) to save the active standard design (Aktives Standarddesign - in my understanding the design which is active, when no other profile/game is loaded) it does litterally nothing.aw988_ledconfig01.jpg

When I am reentering the configuration of the active standard design, the boxes are unchecked again:

aw988_ledconfig02.jpg

After this oddyssey am I too dumb to handle the software or is is just buggy (yet another time...)?

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

August 12th, 2019 09:00

Windows installation is corrupted and or drivers are corrupted.

A clean uninfected install may be the only solution.

Method 1: Run the SFC.

Follow the below steps:

1. Open Command Prompt.
  1. Select “Run as Administrator”.
  2. Type “sfc /scannow” without quotes and hit Enter.

Now check for the issue.

Method 2: Try repairing the store and check if it helps:

1. Press WinKEY + X or put the mouse in the lower left corner

2. Open the Command Prompt (Run as Administrator)

3. Type in WSReset.exe and hit enter.

4. Type the following in a Command Window (CMD) to re-register the Store App:

PowerShell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted -Command "& {$manifest = (Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsStore).InstallLocation + '\AppxManifest.xml' ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manifest}"

If the above method doesn’t fix the issue perform Method 3.

Method 3:

Follow the below steps:

•Open Powershell as administrator

•Run the command

Get-appxprovisionedpackage –online | where-object {$_.packagename –like “*windowscommunicationsapps*”} | remove-appxprovisionedpackage –online

1 Message

December 11th, 2019 15:00

I'm having the same problem and Ive tried every possible way. 
Customer service is shit. App is shit, software is shit, devices are shit. 
Never in this life and the lives of everyone around me will I buy another single thing from Alienware. 
Never again, Alienware. 

4 Posts

October 15th, 2020 19:00

Me too

November 6th, 2021 01:00

It's literally been like this since 6 months after release of this headset...Alienware has done nothing to fix it! I noticed after a few months of owning this headset that my headset center also stopped working, doing the "initializing" thing indefinitely. I've uninstalled and installed the latest iteration of the Alienware Command Center and Alienware Sound Center (the latter of which, I can no longer find anywhere on Dell's support page) so many times that I've given up on ever being able to use the LED function of this headset ever again. Absolute waste of money

No Events found!