Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

June 16th, 2017 16:00

BSOD upon selecting Settings/Network & Internet/WIFI on XPS 15 9560

When I select that menu I get a BSOD.  So I never go there, so my XPS 15 9560 is fine.  I would like to be able to go to that menu or setting.

June 17th, 2017 09:00

Hi PURPLENATE26,

Could you kindly share the BSOD error which you get?

Also, please click my DELL-username and write me a private message with the service tag and your Name for case records.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

June 17th, 2017 10:00

I might be testing the problem in certain ways.  For instance, if you disable the Wi-fi from the connections panel (ncpa.cpl), does it BlueScreen?

Can you right click the Wi-fi icon and see the available networks, etc.

Other settings on the page deal with Hotspots.  I don't see a reason that should effect you unless there was some hotspot your system is trying to access.

If you can't find anything wrong through testing, perhaps a System File Check is in order.  

What model Wi-fi card does your system have.

June 17th, 2017 14:00

Clicking WIFI icon I can select my home network and then select properties and see everything just fine.

SSID: Mom_5

Protocol: 802.11ac

Security type: WPA2-Personal

Network band: 5 GHz

Network channel: 153

IPv4 address: 192.168.0.104

Manufacturer: Qualcomm Atheros Communications Inc.

Description: Killer Wireless-n/a/ac 1535 Wireless Network Adapter

Driver version: 12.0.0.307

Physical address (MAC): ‎9C-B6-D0-E0-28-B7

June 17th, 2017 14:00

Stop code: Driver _IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

What failed: nwifi.sys

I have posted a video here; goo.gl/.../7skRBJjoNUVLvnhD7

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

June 17th, 2017 16:00

I am starting to think you do not have the correct driver installed.  It is hard for me to know for sure since I do not have your system, but the nwifi.sys is a Windows driver but does not appear to be installed by the installer.

Have you ever uninstalled the network adapter and checked the box to uninstall all drivers?  If you have, then it may not help to reinstall again, but make sure you are installing the Wi-Fi drivers and not just the Bluetooth drivers.  The driver version you show in your attachment does not seem to agree with the Dell version which seems to be 1.1.70.1349, A04.

June 17th, 2017 16:00

Hmm.  The driver detection thing on Dell's web site shows all drivers as updated.  Also I have a Dell application in my tray that checks for updated drivers every few days.

June 22nd, 2017 08:00

BSODs stopped happening.  All is fine now.  No idea what happened.  For now I would mark this thread as machine self solved without human input.

No Events found!