Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

February 28th, 2018 17:00

BitLocker: need a key but I never installed it

Hi all, I have an unusual problem. 3 days ago my hard drive got blocker by BitLocker. It asks for a key in order to unlock my hard drive.

The problem is that I have never installed or set up BitLocker. This is a new laptop and no one had access to it except me. So I am 100% sure that BitLocker was never set up. I bought it via Amazon in Boston 4 months ago.

I checked my Microsoft account but didn't find BitLocker key there (again, because I didn't set it up). I called Dell and they told me I should call Microsoft. I called Microsoft and they told me I should call Dell. It's a closed circle and no one seems to be responsible.

My solution is to re-install Windows but in this case, I will lose all my data (which I don't want to do).

Does Dell community has any recommendations? Did this issue happen in the past? Who could have set up BitLocker encryption on my laptop without providing me with a password?

If I don't recover my data, I consider suing Dell here in Boston. 

March 13th, 2019 10:00

I eventually reinstalled windows from a rwcovery thumb drive I had fortunately set up when I first got the machine.

Two days later and I'm still working on getting it back to working again.

And by the way, I now discover that I have Windows 10 Home version which shouldn't even have bitlocker. **bleep**?

33 Posts

ARE YOU REFERRING TO AFTER THE PROBLEM HAPPENED OR NOW, I COULD USE COMMAND PROMPT, IF WHEN HAPPENED,  I COULD NOT EVEN ACCESS THE COMPUTER, IF NOW IT IS AN EXCTERNAL DRIVE AND WHEN ATTEMPTING TO USE AS A NORMAL PRIMARY DRIVE IT WILL NOT BOOT

33 Posts

unfortunately similar happened to me, unfortunate thing was that i used the computer for near a year prior to it going haywire during a windows update, it was not till about 2 weeks later that a local tech discovered i had a bitlocker recovery key on my microsoft account, now 2 months later still no data, i bought new harddrive and reloaded windows on it, the key did not work and i have sent to 2 professional recovery places both with 99% ability to recover data, i fell in that 1% category with both companies, they have determined the bitlocker metadata has been corrupted during a windows update, which makes sense because it was during that update that i was no longer able to get into the computer. it was home version and as you say should not have had bitlocker on it to begin with. my account said the bitlocker was enabled 3 days after date i purchased it. My losses exceed 250 k at this point possibly 300 k$ and rising, funny that a software that was created to protect ones data is the exact cause of its demise, This is far from over from my perspective, they only thing I have given up on is getting my data back, but would still be happy and satisfied if i could. I am peon compared to most which is why i cannot afford this to have happened

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

There are no soft fixes for physically bad hard drives.

Autorepair never works.

You will need a new drive and to reinstall clean.

33 Posts

March 13th, 2019 11:00

no doubt that is ultimately what had to happen, the actual physical drive shows to be 100% healthy, so if bitlocker is such a gift from somewhere, why is it the most used answer is to simply reinstall windows and lose your data, if bitlocker was anything worth having, what i said should not be possible, if the goal is to protect ones data, then why is it literally easy as pie to write over your files by reinstalling windows, how is it such a great thing that it seamlessly installs and enables itself onto a computer without the users kknowledge or consent, if it is so good why does it not have a full proof way of restoration, the fact that it auto enables alone, is enough for a , because how is the user to know anything about a recovery key if they never knew it was even running. From my perspective bitlocker must be used for some other purpose than security of users files, because if it had not been on mine, my files would still be here, it shoulld be up to the user especially if they are not within an organization or group type scenario, I am my only person, and use home version. like i said the simple answer i get more than anything else is to reinstall windows, which wipes out your data. i get on this site just to moan, because that is all i can do at this point, i hope that someone way up the food chain can see these crys for help, because I am about to start yelling real loud

(edited)

March 14th, 2019 17:00

Try to boot using uefi usb win10, then install, if you need help please notice

March 15th, 2019 07:00

Please follow the steps mentioned below, and let us know if you are able to boot to the OS.

1. Restart the system.

2. At the Dell Logo keep tapping F2.

3. You will enter the BIOS screen

4. Under General

5. Select  Boot Sequence.

6. Select  UEFI

7. Select  Apply.
8. Under “Security” select TPM 2.0 Security

9. Select  Enable and click on Apply.

10. Under “Secure Boot”

11. Select  Secure Boot Enable

12. Select  Enable.

13. Click on Apply. Once these steps are done, restart the system and let us know if you are able to boot into Windows.

March 15th, 2019 07:00

Put the old harddrive in the laptop and boot from usb uefi win 10. I will tell you the step

33 Posts

March 15th, 2019 10:00

I am with you on the uefi, but you lost me on the tpm, mine does not have anything like that under security, ptt it has

this may be one of the reasons that windows 10 home is not compatable with bitlocker, but i don' t know if tpm is only on pro versions, or not.  most likely why i am in the shape i am in

33 Posts

whch if bitlocker is anything like windows update, users have very little if any control over that anymore either, i know i set timer for it to run within, since it gonna run anywy, but it still runs continuously for most part, quite a joke, anytime my internet is slow, or computer acts like it is sleepy, the dam updates are running full throttle, although I know updats are important, they are not that important, makes the pc almost useless

33 Posts

I appreciate your help, especially when you don't have to, I will always try anything.  is still the last thing I will do

33 Posts

If i need to just pretend that tpm is a non issue, and do everything else, just let me know, I have heard of tpm, but that is it.  I have yet to see any reason or understanding why bitlocker is on the system, like i said other day, it is on there right now, running in background services.  I have not seen anything that says that it is compatable with home version.  but i know what I am seeing, it is like it is there, with no way to control it

March 16th, 2019 06:00

Please foto your bios setting

March 17th, 2019 00:00

Please make usb bootable windows 10  using efi or uefi, 

FrostedLog you are a true hero, you just saved my laptop. Much love, you're the hero we needed right now

Eveyone else, here is a link to FrostedLog's comment that fixed the issue for me: https://www.dell.com/community/Windows-10/BitLocker-need-a-key-but-I-never-installed-it/m-p/7196612/highlight/true#M13507

No Events found!