Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

2 Intern

• 

219 Posts

September 21st, 2016 14:00

Can Dell provide original windows product code based on my system tag

I bought an Inspiron One 2020 loaded with Windows 8. I upgraded it to Windows 10. I've replaced the system board and now appear to also need a new hard drive. If I replace the hard drive and need a fresh copy of Windows 10, will I be able to get it activated? I can't find the original Windows product key anywhere. Is this something that Dell may have somewhere associated with my Service Tag or Express Service Code? Is there any other way to find the original Windows Product Key?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 22nd, 2016 03:00

Hi,

Thank you for writing to us!

For all Dell system's the Product key is pre-injected on the Motherboard (system board) ,if the system had a mother board replacement via Dell then the replacement motherboard will have the product key ,if it was changed locally then we would not be able to help regarding this.

Thanks

Robin

2 Intern

• 

219 Posts

September 22nd, 2016 07:00

OK, thanks so much Robin. That's great news. Since the system board contains (I assume you mean electronically), the new product key, that key will allow for activation of my new copy of Windows 10, Is that correct? Do I have to know the key, or will MS obtain it electronically? Sorry to ask such dumb questions, but I've never done anything like this before.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 23rd, 2016 10:00

Hi,

If the system board was replaced by Dell then the new System board will have the product key .

If it was replaced locally we wouldnt be able to help regarding that in which you might have to purchase the product key .

Thanks

Robin

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 28th, 2016 10:00

Hi,

We are waiting to hear from you .Kindly let us know if the issue has been sorted out.

Thanks

Robin

2 Intern

• 

219 Posts

September 28th, 2016 12:00

Yes, thank you Robin. I replaced the motherboard myself, so Dell's not involved. My original hope was that Dell had a cross reference between Service Tag and the Windows Product Key. But since you told me that Dell doesn't have such a cross reference, it became apparent it's all my problem :emotion-6:. Thanks for your help.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 29th, 2016 10:00

Hi,

Thank you for letting us know .Kindly get back to us if there are any other issues.

Thanks

Robin

No Events found!