Highlighted
2 Bronze

Cannot adjust screen brightness on Dell laptop? Simple solution.

I have this issue on my Dell Inspiron 13 7000 series for very long time. I tried searching Google and Dell support community and I did:

Control Panel > Device Manager > Display Adapters > Intel HD Graphics 5500 > Driver > Update Driver > Search Automatically.

It fixed.

18:35 on 25-Dec-2016: Sorry bro, I did as above; it fixed but when I try pressing the brightness button then It come back problem again: can not adjust the brightness. Hic hic

19:00 on 25 Dec 2016: I even try downloading and installing the latest Intel Graphic Driver (issued on July 2016), but just after a while, the screen comes back very dim.

I accidentally discover this: Setting --> Display --> uncheck the box "Adjust my screen brightness automatically".

Sorry, but stupid Windows!!!!

5 Replies
Highlighted
1 Copper

Re: Cannot adjust screen brightness on Dell laptop? Simple solution.

Thanks, I had a similar problem (Latitude E6540, IPS display, stuck at brightest level) and reinstalling the driver in Device Manager solved the problem.

With regard to automatic brightness adjustment, I have also found that to be troublesome on a Windows laptop (HP, in my case).  The display would slew from bright to dim or vice versa in a few seconds, for no apparent reason.  It would be very frustrating to live with that for an extended period of time.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Re: Cannot adjust screen brightness on Dell laptop...

i have dell inspiron 15 3584 , the brightness is at maximum level and i cannot adjust my screen brightness...

this happens after windows 10 1903 update and it still occurs after windows 10 1909 update too...

please me in solving this problem...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Re: Cannot adjust screen brightness on Dell laptop...

I had the same issue and the suggestion to update the driver under Device Manager didn't work for me (it would simply say the driver was up-to-date).  Installing Intel Graphics Command Center and adjusting the brightness from there worked (the brightness range goes from -60 to 100).  Also, I would recommend to install Dell's SupportAssist because it found newer updates to the graphics driver that a simple Windows update missed.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

I had a problem that my screen was very dark when on battery, ie not plugged in   Despite exhaustive searching on microsoft, dell and throughout my computer, I was unable to find a slide bar that nearly every support blog says is there!  Finally, after nearly a year of frustration, my IT contractor told me to do the following:  immediately when powering on the computer, begin tapping the Fn F2 key.  Continue this for about 5-10 seconds until the screen shows up with a brightness bar that you can then adjust.  So simple, yet nowhere have I seen this posted.

Hope it helps others!  (Inspiron 5000 series)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

This worked for me! Dell Latitude E6540 and Nov, 2019. But updating the driver was the solution.
Thankss

0 Kudos