Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 5th, 2017 12:00

Dell Factory Windows 10 Recovery DVD

I wanted to upgrade my hard drive and couldn't because the dell windows 10 OEM media DVD wont reinstall.. Why is that?  I had to put the OEM hard drive back in the PC because the dell windows 10 media only is a repair dvd not a full restore to factory DVD like Dell had in the previous operating systems.  I have a Dell E7470 laptop.  Can someone tell me why they include a DVD repair instead of recovery dvd with your computer now a days?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

January 5th, 2017 15:00

Do you have an option to Reset using the DVD?  Did you make a Recovery Drive from your current install?

Did you make a System Image/

2.3K Posts

January 5th, 2017 16:00

With Windows 10, Dell doesn't provide a restore program or discs or anything of the like.  You have to go into the Windows 10 search bar (cortana bar) and search restore or restore disc. A program will pop up that will allow you to make restore discs or a usb.

January 6th, 2017 06:00

Saltgrass - If my hard drive failed how would I have the option to do that?  I have a Dell OEM windows 10 Pro 64bit DVD Recovery disc that came with my laptop.  It does give me the option to reset but states the partition is missing.. I am really talking about a new drive here not the OEM hard drive.  So in the past with windows 7, I would boot to the dvd and reinstall. This DVD doesnt let me.

BeamerMT79 - Of course they do - I wouldnt have stated that I have in my hands a Dell OEM windows 10 Pro DVD.  So what if my hard drive crashed and no partition available?  No way to get on the internet??  I am just saying the Restore DVD isnt a Restore DVD? It just seems like they gave out a Windows 10 Repair DVD..

I was able to get windows 10 installed but I had to download the image on a usb and reinstall. BUT - What if I didnt have the internet and ONLY the DVD?  How does one use that DVD to restore the computer?  

January 6th, 2017 08:00

pic of DVD

dl.dropboxusercontent.com/.../FullSizeRender (1).jpg

no matter what I do it always leads to this screen below.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15325206/File%20Jan%2006%2C%209%2002%2047%20AM.jpeg

January 6th, 2017 09:00

So you are saying the DVD they give out is useless?  But if you had a windows 7 recovery DVD you are fine?  That doesn't make sense.. I would like a Dell Technician to explain this.

2.3K Posts

EDIT: You can also go here for media and how to access the recovery system. 

2.3K Posts

Not sure what DVD they gave you, but in general its the Customer's responsibility to make their own restore disc or USB.

yes I know that but why give out a recovery DVD if it doesn't work??

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

January 6th, 2017 10:00

I replaced the drive on my system and used the Recovery Drive to Reset to factory on the new drive.  I do not know exactly what media you have and how it works, so just letting you know to see if there was that possibility.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

January 6th, 2017 11:00

Any installation media shipped with the system or retail installation is obsolete... Microsoft Update their Windows 10 .iso every 3 or so months. The latest mainstream build is the RS1 build 14393 .iso. 

You will get far superior performance clean installing with the latest .iso then using an obsolete DVD and performing a clean install and subsequent upgrade install. See here for details:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1RkaknDn7v-Ucth4gt0U3BHVSY7oNkWr 

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-windows-10-oem-and-retail-iso/ 

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

I don't know how old your system is, but one of the downloads from the drivers page for my system is a System Recovery Image, which might do a full install.  

One problem might be you need to give your Service tag and also accept a download which checks you current configuration.  It may not work on a new drive.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

;)  I checked Dropbox, which is where I read what the DVD was for.

Win 10, yes but I did not use a DVD, just the Recovery Drive I created with Windows.  I had not considered using a Reset option one a new drive, but I knew the Recovery should reinstall so I tried it and it worked.

If the DVD gives you a Reset option, did you try that?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

The last picture does seem to indicate the DVD needs the Recovery partition on the original drive...

When you make a recovery drive, it copies the Win 10 image and the Recovery partition utilities.  That is probably why it works where the DVD does not have the images it needs.

The Recovery drive also uses 3.5 GB for windows plus another 5 GB for the OEM utilities.  But since you can reinstall Win 10 by just downloading the Install Media from Microsoft, they may not be providing full Factory Resetl media, as was suggested, I believe.

No Events found!