Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 5th, 2017 12:00

Dell Factory Windows 10 Recovery DVD

I wanted to upgrade my hard drive and couldn't because the dell windows 10 OEM media DVD wont reinstall.. Why is that?  I had to put the OEM hard drive back in the PC because the dell windows 10 media only is a repair dvd not a full restore to factory DVD like Dell had in the previous operating systems.  I have a Dell E7470 laptop.  Can someone tell me why they include a DVD repair instead of recovery dvd with your computer now a days?

January 6th, 2017 11:00

Yes OEM hard drive I swapped out with a bigger SSD.  I had to download the media from microsofts website.. I wanted to use the OEM install so all the apps and everything goes back on like it was originally... but I do understand creating your own but dang why include a DVD recovery and it doesn't work??  That's my whole post is about.  Why include a 6GB DVD and it is only used to repair the install of what it had originally...

As stated previously it will not load, it will only let me repair the OEM hard drive. If I placed a new drive in the DVD is useless.  did you see this link dl.dropboxusercontent.com/.../File Jan 06, 9 02 47 AM.jpeg

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

The DVD states it is for reinstalling on a Dell System.

You might check the file structure and see if it looks like a normal install USB or compare it to the one you made.

I will assume the DVD will load as UEFI, if that is how your system is configured.

Was yours windows 10 and what did you use to recover it on the new drive?

January 6th, 2017 12:00

yeah I am seeing that.  Its a brand new system just got it last month E7470.  Ok, I just wanted to know why the OEM dvd drive didn't do everything like ALL the previous Dell DVD's did.  Thanks everyone.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

January 6th, 2017 21:00

The Digital Download from Dell is version 1511 while Microsoft give a Digital Download of version 1607...

The optical drive and hence the DVD is rejected by SecureBoot. You need a FAT32 formatted USB Flash Drive to pass SecureBoot.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

January 7th, 2017 07:00

The optical drive and hence the DVD is rejected by SecureBoot. You need a FAT32 formatted USB Flash Drive to pass SecureBoot.

Why do you believe a DVD will not work with Secure Boot?  If the DVD is placed in the drive prior to boot and the UEFI version is selected , it should boot fine...  Something I need to verify I suppose...

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

January 8th, 2017 03:00

Theres been many, many threads on it since Windows 8.0 came out... its why my guides never recommend use of a DVD.

Heres an OptiPlex 7010 with a UEFI Boot with SecureBoot On... Note no Optical Drive is listed.

Boot Menu One Time USB2

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

January 8th, 2017 06:00

If you have the DVD inserted in the drive prior to booting, an Install or Recovery DVD will be recognized.  I just tested it again yesterday, but it has to be installed during the initial boot phase or it won't be read..

There are some bootable DVD media which may not be UEFI capable.  The Win 7 recovery drives were not and the Recovery Media to which you refer may not be also.  We used to have to add a folder to the DVD to get it to boot as UEFI, but that was a long time ago and certainly that should not be the case with a Win 8 or 10 recovery drive..

January 9th, 2017 06:00

natakuc4 - Thats probably why the machine doesnt come with an optical drive like most i7's but yes if it has an optical drive i usually use a dvd or usb as it doesnt matter.  Been installing windows 10 on UEFI systems since it came out.  Thats why i am confused why the dell factory DVD doesnt work.

January 9th, 2017 07:00

My Dell Factory DVD is UEFI bootable.  

www.dropbox.com/.../File Jan 09, 7 06 13 AM.jpeg

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

January 26th, 2017 10:00

Just some more info, my Win 10 Install media boots fine as UEFI, even in an external DVD drive.

The Restore Image for my system is over 6 GB and will not fit on a 4.7 GB DVD.  A Win 10 install image is only about 3.5 GB but the OEM utilities and drivers eat up more space.

No Events found!